my first street bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first street bike

I'm digg'n up bones but yeah I had a gs 500 for my first one I put about 6000 miles on it (before I got to comfortable and totaled it out doing 80 round a corner and went out across a field) in 4 months the seat is comfortable, and the bike is plenty fast I had rode dirt bikes before I started riding two and I thought it would be a cake walk not really but to each his own always respect it and hope ya have a lifetime of fun on a street bike...Peace!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM

You dont need a bike til atleast you are 21, and can you afford insurance for a sportbike.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:29 PM

We should have a please read sticky for newbie sportbike riders and first timers that want to get a liter bike as a first bike.....
It would seem that every other week we have someone, (I gotta say, no offense to anyone, butsomeone with a complete lack of common sense) asking if should get a liter bike as a first bike.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:41 PM

choose a 600 plus even i if i find it slow
a new 600 will be faster than anything you could possibly imagine at your age. If I bought a supersport bike (600 or 1000) when i was 16 i would not be alive today, you really should get a couple years of driving (a car) under your belt before you buy ANY bike, so at least you can learn to predict what other drivers on the road are going to do.

oh and the hayabusas are limited (like every bike) to 186, not 220.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 PM

if you like the hondas and like naked bikes(with little plastic on them) i would say to look at a honda 599. it is the 919(bike you mentioned) little brother bike. very similar in looks and style but a smaller motor. i started off young as well i bought a katana 600 when i was 18. dumped it with intwo weeks. learned alot on that bike. kept it two seasons then bought a bigger faster bike. i have been riding for 13 years have somewhere around 120,000 miles under me and i just got a liter bike this season. and it still took me some time to adjust to the power these bikes put down. do yourself and your parents a favor, buy a used 500-600 standard ride it for a few season. get some miles under you(5000-10000) miles before you look into a supersport bike of any size. i took my 14 yearold nephew out on my cbr1kk around the block and only hit the throttle a little bit and he almost pissed himself. and he rides a 2 stroke 125 dirt bike. could beleive how fast my bike was at 1/8 throttle. start slow, learn then move up.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:13 AM

I remember when I was 16 years old and how stupid I was. I did not own a bike, but a 1987 Fiero GT V6 5 speed. I drove the wheels off of that car. I was young and dumb and that I was unstoppable. You need to get an idea of what others are doing on the road before get a street bike. If you make a mistake on a bike, it will not be as forgiving as a car. I do not think any 16 year old is ready for street bike. IF you have to get a street bike, go for a 250cc 500cc or 599cc. You are not ready for a litre bike. No offense, but you WILL hurt yourself or someone else. 16 year olds do not have the respect with something with that much power as an older mature rider. Good luck in your adventures and BE CAREFUL!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 AM

Dude,I can tell you from experience. I had a ninja 250R to start out with when i was 17 and it was perfect for starting. Just last summer I rode my brothers 1000rr, and its insanely fast. Like I didn't think things could be that fast. I consider myself to be a responsible kid, with my head on my shoulders, but I know if I had that for too long I'd be testing it out sometime, and something bad could happen. I'm not going to say not to get one, because I was pondering getting one myself and I'm only 20. But seriously, the 250 is not a bad bike and if you ride that for six months or so, it'll give you really good experience, not only in handling streetbikes, but an awareness of the road and how defensive you have to drive while riding. You have to look at every car as if they are about ready to kill you, because in all reality...they are.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

dont some states still restrict people to a cc size when they first get a bike license
i know wa state used to restrict like 21 and younger to 600cc or below if i am not mistaking

my god could you imagine the insurance on a 16 year old with a blade
Tell me about it i am 19 and drive a 1000 luckily i bull****ed the lady into i couldnt afford that much so the best she could do was 220 a month as opposed to 380, oh and i have a very bad driving record, that is a key factor in the price!!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM

Im gonna reply to this again I just got my F4 going bought it wrecked and I didn't think that much about it. but it is a hell of a lot more than the gs500 I had scared the crap out of me runs faster in second than the gs did in 5th so like I said start out on a half liter bike or so, Im gonna have to learn to respect this F4 before I get hurt Im 22 but still 16 at heart so I know where your coming from buy a 250 or 500 or some thing, and I hope to see ya on the road.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 AM

My first bike was a 1000 but My opinion for you is to listen to these guys saying buy an older smaller bike. deffinitly get the one most comfortable to you because that is the one thing that will always be a factor in riding. once you learn how to respect your bike and not let IT ride YOU then you can step it up to something a little bigger. patience could save you life on these things.

Quick Reply: my first street bike