My baby has taken up smoking :(

Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My baby has taken up smoking :(

Today I was letting the bike warm up. Temp said about 145, I blipped the throttle a couple times then cracked it to about 3500-4000rpm, slight puff of blue smoke come out. Once again, quicker, 4000ish, more smoke. Once again, 4500ish, even more. #@$%!, I said to myself. I've got a problem, big problem.
Now, I take care of this thing. It's one of the cleanest, well maintained 07 you'll see. It has 22,370 on it with 22 oil changes and 11 oil filters. It's due for plugs, they have about 18,000 on them, and are getting replaced soon. A/F always cleaned. I've done what I could to help keep the motor healthy. I use it's power...I just don't use it up.
JUSTASQUID...I'm looking for you here...was going to PM you, but in case someone else has the same problem I figured I'd post anew. What do I have? Valves, rings? Your very knowledgable and we probly ride very much alike. So I'm wondering if you've had this problem before.
1 thing to add first. I added some Redline fuel injector/valve cleaner 2 tanks ago. Go figure right? I'm just not sure if this just started after adding the cleaner or if it has been smoking for some time. But I'm pretty sure it just started because I'm aware of everything this bike does, I pay attention to everything, even the exhaust and sure enough, heart ache today! Only because I'm not sure if I can fix this issue easy enough or if I have to bring it in. If that's the case I'm screwed! It will be a winter project I guess cause I can't afford the bill.
Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 AM

Generally, thats a sign of valve guides, however, my 05 has done this since it was new. Its not a lot, but enough that it made me take notice of it. My guess is you have nothing wrong and are just now noticing one of the traits of that generation 1000RR.

What I have found with mine is that the crank case vent is vented directly into the air box. There is very little resistance for oil to enter the airbox. When you blip the throttle, there is crankcase build up, then you as you let off the throttle, the build up has nowhere to go so you see a slight puff of smoke as a slight amount of oil enters the airbox. Basically, you have a cut off of gas and an introduction of oil, so it looks much worse than it actually is. It doesn't take much oil to make a noticable amount of smoke.

What you can do is remove your tank cover and your airbox cover. Rub your fingers along the inside of the air box and see just how much oil is there. I'm guessing you'll be suprised at the amount that is there. You may even see some oil puddling in the low lying areas of the air box. There is also a small white plastic catch container that is suppose to catch the oil as it enters the airbox, but they don't work all that well. make sure it is seated properly though as it does stop the heavy flow of oil.

Try bringing your rpms up to the same amount, but let off the throttle slower. If the smoke doesn't appear, your probably in good shape. If it only appears after a chop off of the throttle, it is more than likely just the crankcase vent venting a little too well and bringing some oil with it. I would guess since you saw more with each throttle blip, you were bringing more oil up the vent into the air box. If it were a serious mechanical issue, the visible amount wouldn't change. it would be the same every time.

I'm not 100 percent positive that this is your issue, (although I feel comfortable saying it probably is) but just know that a slight amount of blue smoke after a throttle blip is not uncommon.

Also, make sure your oil level is not high. But do check your airbox for oil and make sure the oil catch container is properly seated. It may also be time for a new set of air filters as they can make the condition worse by not allowing as much air into the system.

I'll be glad to help in any capacity I can. And feel free to PM me anytime you want. And please report back once you have checked your airbox. I'm curious to what you find.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Well my Friend, as it stands right now, your suspisions may be correct. But all I've had a chance to do was start it, let it warm up and do some throttle test. I tried some smooth blips (on & off) to about 3500-4000rpms and got no smoke. I held it steady around 3500, nothing. Slightly higher chops at it, nothing blue! I just didn't snap-it like the other day, I just shut it down and walked away feeling somewhat relieved.
I just cleaned the filters the other day and did notice an oily film around the filters, but I'm thinking I was just a little too generous the last time I sprayed them because there was more oily residue in the air-duct. But I'm going to take it all off and check things over real good and give the whole thing a good cleaning. Might as well order some plugs before I do and change them out while I have it apart. BRISK plugs. Ever herd of them? Check them out if you haven't. OPP.com
I did re-check the oil and it is still 1/8 below the high mark. Maybe I should pull another 1/8 out. Where do you like to see yours?
So yeah, I will clean the box and check things out, then I'll give her the crack test and hope for the best.
I really appreciate your quick reply, I was feeling terrible thinking the worst, ya know? So thanks for your help!! I will let you know what I find if anything.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Anywhere between the two lines of the sight glass should be ok to run your oil. I've just seen some people accidentally overfill their oil and cause some issues. Generally, the extra oil gets purged through the air box and it will smoke. I run my oil about the same as you do. Just a little under the top sight line. Just be weary of if the bike is on a stand though. That can show a false reading and you will have more oil in there than you think. I probably go overboard, but I lay a level across my gas tank, take a telescopic mirror so I can hold the bike level from the seated position and I am able to look at the sight glass.

I have heard of Brisk plugs and have heard good things about them. However, I have always had really good luck with NGK and usually run what I have had luck with. Its sort of a fault of mine. Once I find something I like, its extremely hard for me to try something else. The funny part is, I am only this way with my motorcycle. Anything else, and I don't care..

I feel pretty good that the smoke you saw was just the crankcase venting since you couldn't reproduce it. I truly think your bike is fine.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Yep, I let that sucker drain forever. Then I've got a 1 gal gas can with markings for filter change and without. Works well. The telescoping mirror is pretty clever, never would have thought of that.

The only reason I tried the Brisk plugs is that they claim to increase compression due to the thickness of the insulator. I've had good luck with them, but they're friggin $20 a peice! But I'll stick with them for now. I've had them in there since the bike had 3500 miles on it and have had no complaints. Not even sure if they're dying yet, but they said they were good for 18,000m and I'm there, so, the time has come.

I'll post up again when I see what the box looks like. And I hope your right about the crankcase venting,...That would be so friggin awesome!!!

Last edited by dragginazz; 06-18-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 AM

Sorry Guys...still haven't checked out the airbox yet for oil. Been having issues with my neck lately so been pre-occupied with that.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Ok guys so after checking my airbox, there was some oil in there. Not much...not much at all, but the fact that there was some in there suggest JUSTASQUID was right

Haven't noticed the blue smoke like I was, however, I do get a whisp of smoke every now and then. THIS, I expect with 23,000 miles.

Thanks again SQUID for your help!