Mismatched tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mismatched tires

So when i bought my bike the girl selling it said she had puta new tire on it because the old one had a nail in it and went flat, But when i looked the other day i noticed they were mismatched. No miles on the rear, only a few hundred on the front, what should i do?

BACK:
METZLER SPORT TEC
FRONT:
BATTLE AXE

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Default RE: Mismatched tires

You bought your bike from a girl!!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Nah, just messing with you!! They should be fine for every day riding. I probably wouldn't useit at the track if it were ME, but I'm sure some do. If it's new it's not worth dumping. I would run it the way it is and do it right when the time comes.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Yeah i bought it from a girl because her boyfriend was in Jail at the timeand it hadboth his and hername on the title, so she sold it to me for $5600, i couldn't pass up such a good deal, it only has 1800 mi on it

Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM

I would not run them the bike tireshavethe same pattern from ft to back for a reason, if you have a dif pattern on the them theywill not grip the same on the ft and the back. I know by the comment you are not aracer but you will take corners faster and faster as you feel better on the bike. (we all do it)and you want the same feel.

Everyone will have a different point of veiw on this. it is just my 2 cents.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Ty

I don't believe that either of those are OEM tires so she must have replaced both at some point. I cannot speak to the performance of those tires, as I am not familiar with either one. If they ride OK, I'd probably leave them on unless some track time is coming.

I know that the higher end tires have slight geometry variations and differing compounds where at any given bank angle, they are cooperating with each other. Mismatched tires would negate that effectat best. "All tires are not round" so to speak. Normal riding probably would not push the tire anywhere near needing to match your tires, but then again some people ride pretty frickin hard on the street.

Here's an easy solution: Correct pressures are far more important than matched tires, so if youset your pressure every time you ride, then match your tires. If not, then your not worried about pushing the tires to the limit anyway so there's no sense in wasting all that money.

I'll give you 5800 for it, btw. Think about it. That's 2 bills straight toyour pocket. LOL

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: sweetdeal

Yeah i bought it from a girl because her boyfriend was in Jail at the timeand it hadboth his and hername on the title, so she sold it to me for $5600, i couldn't pass up such a good deal, it only has 1800 mi on it
what you missed was he does not know it. and he is going to be really pissed off when he gets out and will hunt you down and find you. then make you his new "girlfriend" so he can ride both hisgirls all over town [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

but seriously i would spend a few hundred bucks and gets a set of matched tires. person preference would be pilot powers. this is just because i have no idea if there would be any ill effect to them being mismatched and the cost to correct the difference is small. plus you can always off the others for a few bucks to offet the cost of the matched set.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
RCR

Why buy a new set? Just replace one to match the other.

Not to sure you will really notice any difference ( as in tracking differently from one another).

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Meh, I've mismatched tires on several occasions, rode hard for thelifeof the tiresand lived to tell about it.

I say run 'em.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL:
BACK:
METZLER SPORT TEC
FRONT:
BATTLE AXE

I am with you I would replace 1 of the tires I do not know anything about the Battle axe ? ? ? I have a friend that runs the Metzler and he likes them a lot and they are cheeper then the Diablos I run or the pilot powers that a lot of people run.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM

I road with mismatched tires on my 900RR for over a year and I never had any issues; however, I never tried to take that bike to its limits. I guess it will really depend on the type of riding you do.

I also didn't ride in the rain and I think thats where you would notice the biggest difference.

Quick Reply: Mismatched tires