CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   looking for some advice (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/looking-some-advice-148677/)

kidd6674 08-19-2013 03:56 PM

looking for some advice

i have a 2006 honda cbr1000rr it has a 530 chain 16/42 sprocket and i would like to change to a 15/41 sprocket set up i wanna know the pro and cons to this...and how do i know the length of my chain and whats the best setup to go with for more front end lifting power without losing my highway power cause i do ride this bike to work sometimes.

RoadiJeff 08-19-2013 07:38 PM

It's interesting that you asked this now. Less than 2 minutes ago I ordered a 520 chain and sprocket kit for my 08 1000RR. It had nearly 20,000 miles on it and the chain had a few tight links so I figured it was time.

Anyhow, people are always talking about doing things like -1/+2 conversion kits and other combinations. In your case it would be a -1/-1. If you go to the Gearing Commander website you can experiment with different combinations to see what effect each one has on rpm and top speed. A smaller front sprocket give more wheelie ability but less top speed. The opposite is true for the rear sprocket. If you go -1/-1 you are partially negating the effect of getting a one tooth smaller sprocket up front.

A -1/+2 gear change would drop nearly 20 mph off my top speed and that was too much so I kept the gear ratios the same, just went from 530 to 520 sizes.

PM me for a place that has a great deal on complete sprocket and chain conversion kits in various sizes and colors.

jeffjones 08-19-2013 07:39 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with -1/-1?
It would be close to the same as going +1 in the rear.
Unless you mean -1/+1 in which you could most likely stay with the stock size.
Look through www.gearingcommander.com and play with the sprocket set-ups to see what you like.
Also if you change from stock you will need a speedohealer or speedoDRD to calibrate your speedometer.

kidd6674 08-19-2013 07:59 PM

What I'm looking for is more bottom end power I like to keep my front end on the air so I'm looking to change up to do a lil wheeling

jeffjones 08-20-2013 08:38 AM

Well you have a litre bike, there should be no reason you can't get the front up in forst or second with OEM gearing.

But if you want it like that, either go down teeth in the front or up in the rear or just practice wheelies and you can keep your OEM geraing.

I can do 2nd gear wheelies on my F4i so you should have no problem getting the wheel in the air on a 1000.
Also, the more you change your ratio the faster you will run out of gear, so hopefully you can hit BP or can change gears in a wheelie.

kidd6674 08-20-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1246791)
Well you have a litre bike, there should be no reason you can't get the front up in forst or second with OEM gearing.

But if you want it like that, either go down teeth in the front or up in the rear or just practice wheelies and you can keep your OEM geraing.

I can do 2nd gear wheelies on my F4i so you should have no problem getting the wheel in the air on a 1000.
Also, the more you change your ratio the faster you will run out of gear, so hopefully you can hit BP or can change gears in a wheelie.

thanks jeff just figured out what i was doing wrong was relesing throttle before i pop clutch instead of gasing while poping clutch

kidd6674 08-20-2013 03:18 PM

also just ordered new front sprocket went 1 down....should help a lil more besides think im a lil scared of looping...lol

jeffjones 08-20-2013 03:40 PM

I would look into a speedoDRD or speedohealer as well as your speedometer will read higher than you are actually doing.
Witht eh factory error it will read about 7-8% higher.

kidd6674 08-20-2013 03:57 PM

Is the speedohealer somyhing I can hook up or is there a post some where that shows me how to

RoadiJeff 08-20-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by kidd6674 (Post 1246843)
Is the speedohealer somyhing I can hook up or is there a post some where that shows me how to

It's not that difficult - I have one on my 08. You can go to the Healtech SpeedoHealer website and d/l the installation manual if you want to look it over before you buy. Go to the Product Manuals tab at the top of their home page.

So, did you decide to stick with the stock gearing size for the rear sprocket? You originally were talking about going -1/-1.