I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I DID IT!!!

What's going on people? My turn to add 2 cents.....

My first bike was my 06 CBR 1000RR and I'm doing fine. I think it's all about the rider and his state of mind. I'm 37, not going through a mid-life crisis or trying show my man hood or anything like that I just wanted a bike and after much research I decided the CBR was the one. A younger me may have done something stupid but the older wiser me says continue to respect the bike at all times.

All this chat is like what's going on in the military right now. We have Soldiers dieing on bikes almost daily. Only because they deploy come back with lots of money and feel they need the biggest, fastest bike available but have no experience. They don’t realize that any fool can get on and go fast but it takes practiced skill to actually handle the bike, which is why the military now requires anyone that rides to go to the Safety Course.

Bottom line is be safe respect the bike and remember that in many cases with most riders the bike has more power and get-e-up than you could ever handle.

J-

Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 PM

To put it in simple terms, the sales guy at Criswell Honda in Gaithersburg MD put it....the 1000RR it's a $2,200 bump in sticker price from the 600 to the 1000 and if you got the 600, you will certainly want to trade/sell/upgrade to the 1000 in a short amount of time. I know that for some, $$$ is certainly a factor, but if you go on many of the used motorcycle websites, not to many 1000's for sale!!!!!!

Just SHO up!

Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 AM

Congrats on your new bike...it is a nice one. I have been riding for almost 20 years off and on, and I still can't see myself on a 1000 supersport. Maybe a big bore cruiser, but a 600 SS is enough to keep my underwear bunched real nice between the cheeks.

My 2 cents on this issue: just don't forget that most people on motorcycles die from other's mistakes, not usually their own. Of course the you have the occasional squid wrap himself and his bike around a telephone pole at the apex of a decreasing radius down hiller, but for the most part, it is the other drivers eating their lunch while on the phone, taking a left turn in front of you. In that panic situation it is unwise to think that a newbie on a 1000RR superbike is going to be able to make the right decision to save their life. I posted this same opinion in another thread, but a person new to Motorcycling should spend most of their money on riding gear, and just a little money on a crappy bike. Crash the crappy bike a few times, scuff up the helmet a little, go through a few pairs of gloves. After a few close calls with the old lady in the 74 Mustang and the grumpy guy in the semi, then decide if motorcycling is for you. By that time you will instictively know which cars will change lanes without signaling, which cars run red lights, and what time of day the rain always seems to come. So when you finally get that 1000RR you can actually enjoy it , instead of leaving it in the garage hooked up to a battery tender, flattening the tires and growing mildew inside your helmet and gloves.

After I my son was born I suddenly realized that every ride could be my last, and my bike sat idle for almost 2 years. I have since come to terms with this, and have begun to ride again- after I figure out what is wrong with my bike after being hooked up to a battery tender for 2 years, flattening my tires and growing mold in my helmet.

In the end, just be safe dude, and remember your MSF course training, you are going to need it.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 PM

I read this thread because I'm considering buying a CBR and I'm curious to find out what people are talking about when they first acquire one.

I don't know what kinda skillset this newbie learned in MSF that makes him think he can survive on a liter bike but I got only one thing to say about that. ---- Is there a bookie in Vegas that is offering odds on his surviving the first 2000 miles on it, cuz I wanna place a bet that he won't.

I first turned a key on a bike in MY MSF class in September of last year, after that I waited a month for the arrival of a used BMW F650CS (only 50hp and about 4 times the horses of the Honda Nighthawk I rode in class).

Since then, I've put 12,000 miles on my bike, commuting in heavy rushhour traffic in Dallas from my home in the suburbs, without so much as a tip-over in a parking lot. And I'm telling you the testride I took last week on a 2005 CBR liter, left me covered with sweat after just 10 minutes of riding. Yeh, it was fun, but I was stressed out by it. I was just as scared when I went from my MSF to my BMW and there's a reason: Honda Nighthawk -> BMW F650CS is a four fold HP increase. BMW -> CBR liter is another four fold HP increase...
...even though I'm thoroughly skilled on the street, it still got to me.

This guy is going from basically a nothing bike to a dragster, with NO street skills, and a six month hiatus after his MSF class.

Doesn't anyone else here hear alarm bells? He'd do better to have it towed to a race track and get some one-on-one coaching for about 16 hours.

P.S. I'm 47, have a 6 year old son that I don't want to orphan, and I bought my first bike after Katrina pushed the gas prices to $3/gallon. I'm now in love with motorcycles (was after the first 5 minutes of the MSF parking lot riding) and I plan to do Track Days and a novice amateur race to see if I want to do that as a hobby. Even if I decide I don't like racing, my enjoyment of riding a liter bike will be in knowing I have self control.

"The first step in Mastery is knowing thy self."

Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 PM

OK TexasArmadillo,

Instead of placing odds in Vegas, why not take your 2 cents and invest heavily in a mutual fund so that you can send your 6 year old to "manners" school to have more class than you. Orphan or no orhan, your "sense of sarcasm" as a role model is lame. Obviously, a 1000cc is a huge jump, but to be a wise **** about it is something totally different. I will be as careful as possible,... if it is too much for me, then I'll trade down. I will loose money, but I guess I have won $$$ enough times in Vegas to be able to take a chance like this.

Get to know thyself a "little more" and try again...

Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM

So you're going to trust to luck like your 'lucky in Vegas' huh?

Foolishness.

And the insurance costs for the rest of us will go up when they scrap your brains off a fire hydrant.

Why don't you put your CBR in storage and buy another bike to practice on.

Your arrogant ignorance is the most fatal road hazard you have to deal with right now. And your ego won't let you admit that you made a mistake.

"Careful as possible?" Hah, Careful as possible would include picking the correct bike for your skillset.
"If it's too much for me I'll trade down." Assuming you survived the road incident that taught you that it was too much for you. That's kinda like Polish-Mine-Sweeper tactics isn't it? (walking around the minefield with your fingers in your ears, stomping on the ground to detect mines?)

I haven't insulted you at all, son. You just don't want to hear the truth.

Given your choice of first bike, it's clear that you have a serious problem taking advice from others. I guaran-damn-tee your MSF instructor didn't recommend a liter bike to you. Ask some serious advice from some serious moto instructors and they will NEVER recommend bikes over 100hp to a first-timer.

But you've probably already been told that, so, go ahead and be a Darwin Award Candidate.

There's a stat I read that said liter bikes have a 50% crash rate in the first two weeks of ownership. That tells me that these bikes are attracting a lot of foolishness, and it's up to us literbike owners to mitigate that. So folks, give safe advice, and watch your insurance rates go down.

You asked for advice, pal. "Put the bike away." is my advice. I've survived 12,000 miles without a scratch. Let's see if you can.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM

OK TexasArmadillo,

At age 47, you have a lot of pinned up frustration...Mommy didn't hold you enough when you were younger?

There are actually newbies on this board who started out on a CBR 1000; so your definite prediction of a mishap has already been proven FALSE. It is your arrogance that has made you hell-bent on practically WISHING that something goes wrong. But I thank you for your time on this thread. You have said your "peace", now move on Dad...go home and be sure not to overly react with the little one like this,...he/she is only 6 and may grow up to be as frustrated as you.

The next time you want to add a little philosophy to the end of your post, take the advice yourself. Are we getting to know ourselves a little more now,...Master? You are funny...but seriously...move on, I get bored easily.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Insurance premiums don't lie... And they aren't frustrated (or whatever it is that you're projecting onto me.)

Rotz a Ruck

Have you even taken a test-ride at the dealer? (Will they even let you?)

Taking a test-ride will tell you all you need to know about "My main concern is how sensitive is the throttle?"

Old 07-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Evan,
I just cannot believe this thread. You asked for commentary. Armadillo gave it. Now your feelings are hurt because he did noet reinforce your idiocy.

You are effin' STUPID for getting a liter bike as a first ride. Unbelievably effin' stupid. Mind boggling stupid. Park the thing when you get it. You don't even know enough to know that you are ignorant.

Why do I care? Because you are likely to be the guy travelling in the opposite direction of me who goes wide on that tight blind curve because he came into the turn too hot and did not have the skills to control his ride. Effin' MORONS like you endanger ALL of us.

Less than 1% of all riders have the skill to utilize the performance capabilities of a liter bike. Who the hell are you? Why do you think you are one of the chosen. Hell, you can't even ride yet and you think it wise to saddle a beast like that.

You will scare the living $@%& outta yourself with the thing. Being scared on a bike is no fun. Plus it is dangerous, not only to you but to others. You WILL be scared. Very scared. You got off a Buell Blast. Now you are ready for a literbike. Dude, where is your head?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 PM

gahboo

"Effin"...is that the best you can do?

Many people have responded on this thread, but TexasArmadillo came in and tried to be sarcastic. Read zzz11's post, he really laid into me about why I should not have gotten a CBR1000. And I accepted and respected his opinion. No arguement there was there?... because he gave an opinion out of concern. I already said that I welcome pos and neg feedback. But there is a dfifference between sharing your opinion and trying be a wise ****.

And now we have you, who came in here to defend someone and then did the very same thing that he did...tried to be sacrcastic without even an ounce of "constructive" criticism. I can only imagine that TexasArmadillo got his 6 year old (that be you) to come in here and take up for him. Nice try, Gahboo. Now GAH-BYE.