Honda Fireblade RR8 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 1000RR burned a very small amount during the initial break in, but then started burning more subsequently.

I reported this to the dealer, and after several complaints they did a oil consumption test. My Honda dealer's test determined that the bike is burning 1.825 qts per 1000 miles.

When they reported the issue to Honda, Honda has stated this is a high performance engine and that consumption is normal. My dealer thought this was strange, as in his long experience the metric has always been 1 qt (or 1 liter) per 1000 miles, anything over is excessive. Personally, I think 1 qt is excessive. My bike would be burning it's entire oil supply more than twice between recommended oil change intervals.

Honda wants them to warm up the bike, rev it up to 9,000 rpm and video the exhaust. If there is no visible smoke they will consider this normal consumption.

My warranty runs out today.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree with you on that, i run too about 7,000 miles a year, so that will be 7 litres of oil (minimum) plus my 4 litres on the annual service !!!!! 11 litres of oil a year, to get my bike to work and back.... OMG, if this was even mentioned in the car industry as acceptable you would laughed out of court when the first customer took you to the cleaners. I keep hearing from Honda dealers that its a super fit, race tuned engine and will use '' some '' oil.... ok i said, why does the RR6/7 not have the same problem.... that generally shuts them up.

This is why i have decided against buying anything higher than an RR7, until this issue is sorted by Honda, i can not take the chance in buying one of the '' lemons''.