CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   Honda Fireblade RR8 Oil Consumption (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/honda-fireblade-rr8-oil-consumption-116700/)

Hudson 09-19-2010 02:29 PM

Honda Fireblade RR8 Oil Consumption

Just been looking at these bikes and found on the web that a few owners had been having issues with oil consumption..... Honda's ''acceptable'' use is 1 litre per 1000 miles. Now for the usual sunday riders that may be 2 litres a year, but i cover about 8,000 miles a year.... ie 8 litres of oil every bloody year !!!! Can any owners tell me if they have this problem, because if so, this bike is off my possibles list. Totally unacceptable, if a car manufacture said that using 15 litres of oil per year (based on 15,000 miles avrg a year) was acceptable they would be strung up.

thedudeman 09-19-2010 05:39 PM

It depends entirely on the bike. Some will never use a drop (exaggeration, just mean it will never be a noticeable amount), some will use the "acceptable amount," or even more. High revving small engines will always consume more oil than your typcal low-by-comparison RPM engines in cars.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say most bikes are in the middle somewhere, mostly towards the low end. A lot of people would consider loosing half a litre every few thousand miles to be excess, and may complain about it as being excess consumption, when its not.

I do agree that a litre every 1000 is quite a bit, and I doubt that many will consume that much. Probably just a "cover your @ss" from Honda, in case people get up in arms about oil consumption.

Hudson 09-23-2010 02:13 PM

This is a difficult one for me then, because its only after i have purchased the bike that i will know if i have bought a ''lemon'' or not. How about the 954cc blade, is that the same ?

thedudeman 09-23-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hudson (Post 970284)
This is a difficult one for me then, because its only after i have purchased the bike that i will know if i have bought a ''lemon'' or not.

That holds true for just about any purchase, does it not?

Shadow 09-23-2010 04:02 PM

There was an issue with the 1000RR from the factory and all bikes sold here were recalled by the agents for inspection - something to having had inferior rings fitted at the factory. The are able to tell from the serial numbers which bikes were affected. Maybe you could check with your local dealership.
For me I'd rather have an engine use a little oil rather than run too "tight" and have other problems. My 1000F uses around 500ml per 1000 Miles, and I don't see that as a problem. I do over 12000 miles per annum and change the oil every 4000 miles. Oil is the least of your problems, costwise.

thrasher572 09-23-2010 04:35 PM

^^ True. It costs $4.50 a litre of oil and rear tires might last 5-6000km. There is more money dedicated to the tire budget than oil.
I have had to add about a litre in 8000km on top of oil changes. Not too bad.

Hudson 09-24-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 970322)
There was an issue with the 1000RR from the factory and all bikes sold here were recalled by the agents for inspection - something to having had inferior rings fitted at the factory. The are able to tell from the serial numbers which bikes were affected. Maybe you could check with your local dealership.
For me I'd rather have an engine use a little oil rather than run too "tight" and have other problems. My 1000F uses around 500ml per 1000 Miles, and I don't see that as a problem. I do over 12000 miles per annum and change the oil every 4000 miles. Oil is the least of your problems, costwise.

Thanks for that, i will have a chat with Honda UK and find out which serial were affected in the uk, ta.

oldnotslow 09-24-2010 11:47 PM

My 08 CBR1000RR uses less than half a litre in 1500 miles. If I do several track days it will use a little more, but not much. I usually change oil after two track days just from the demand put on the engine from full throttle runs in the upper rpm range.

Hudson 09-26-2010 04:36 PM

Hi oldnotslow, thats good but i suspect there are many other owners worldwide who are not so lucky.

r1-superstar 09-26-2010 09:23 PM

Doing good on my 08. Had her for a year and flogged her around the local track.