HID Ballast Placement. Suggestions??

Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Ballast Placement. Suggestions??

Hey guys, posted a thead over in the 600RR section with no luck so far, so I'll ask you guys.

I have an HID conversion kit on order, and I was wondering if anyone here has HID's. If so, where did you mount the ballasts? I can find a couple places where I could mount them, but I would like to see where others mounted theirs to see if there's an "oh, yeah" idea out there. The bike has been in the shop getting a new starter installled, so I haven't had time to actually look myself yet.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID Ballast Placement. Suggestions??

The 600s have a little more room underneath the left side cowling and underneath the headlights as well, I believe. I mounted mine in the trunk area and extended the wires. I had a real tough time finding a stable mounting spot up close to the the bulbs, but the closest thing I found was behind the left front cowling where the fuse box and some relays hang out. You may have to relocate some wiring, but I think both the ballasts will fit there. Otherwise, you might be able to squeeze one underneath the fairing stay (it's a U-shaped metal bracket so it's hollow underneath). Hope you can find a spot b/c extending the wires is a bitch b/c you have to make sure the wires won't arc through the insulation. The wires running between the ballast and the bulb are silicone coated, as opposed to PVC, which makes them more insulated. If you add PVC-coated wires as an extension, you have to insulate the crap out of them. I ended up having touse 1/4" fuel line wrapped around the bundle of wires b/c it kept arcing through the PVC insulation. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Retired Moderator

Yeah, I haven't got the kit in yet, but I bet the wires only extend about a foot from the ballast itself, so I'm going to have to either extend them or mount them somewhere in the front.

This is going to be trickier than I thought (because I want to hide them as best as possible so someone won't steal them).

Thanks anyway man.

Any more suggestions? Anyone?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM

How much did you get the kit shipped?? I had them placed at the bottom of the front cowling. Juz beneath the headlights. There is kind of a ledge there wide unuf to place the ballast.

FYI, I sell HID kits also..

Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Retired Moderator

I bought an H7, 10000k HID kit on an eBay store. They were selling the kit (2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, 2 ignitors) for $129.99. I was weary at first, but then I read all the positive feedback and it was all good. Then I saw that the only negative feedback was for long shipping. So I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a try for that price (granted, they'll return it if I hate it). So far, THEY'RE GREAT! Especially for the price. (and free shipping). Yeah, the ballasts looks a little cheesy (and they're freaking HUGE), so I had to mount the ballasts under the rear seat and extended the wiring to the ignitors which I placed up front. - For the money, I can't complain. But you can tell that they're generic.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 AM

OK..good value for money. Its an older version of HID kit..newer version is with the ignitor and ballast integrated.

Latest version is the HID ballast the size of a standard size credit card..2cm thick. Cost a bomb!!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Retired Moderator

Yeah, it looks like older technology. The ballasts are the size of frickin Klondike bars and the ignitors are about half that. But for $129 bucks for a kit with 2 bulbs, ballasts and ignitors, I can't complain one bit. Once HID headlamps become mandatory by law (in new vehicles) in 2009, I'm sure the price will go down a bit. I'll upgrade then.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 AM

2006 1000rr HID Install
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread....ht=HID+Install

2004/2005 HID Install
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread....ht=HID+Install