Help... '07 Need to replace front forks and triple trees.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... '07 Need to replace front forks and triple trees.

Hey all, I think this is my first time posting, and I need some help. This is always the place to come when I need to get ideas or search for tips to help me out. I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Acouple weeks back some doucher switched lanes on top of me without looking and made me smash my once beautiful 6 month old 07 1000rr.

The bikeappears fixable and there is no frame damage aside from a small scrape, but apparently the front tire hit a curb and broke the left front fork and lower triple tree/steering stem, as well as punctured a hole in the radiator.

As far as we can tell, aside from the fairings and front rim being a bit bent, this is all that need to be replaced in order to get the bike up and running again. Bike starts up and sounds great.

I was lucky enough to find a complete forks assembly on Ebay for $600 in excellent condition, as well as a cheap radiator & fan combo.

Here's the issue we're having: We need a good way to lift up the bike so that we can completely remove the front wheel as well as the entire fork assemly including triple trees to be replaced. From what I can tell, every bike stand out thereeither lifts from the forks, which we're replacing, or get's lifted from the steering stem, which is broken.

Any ideas? Are there and stands, lifts or some other kind of setup we could use to get this done? Help is always appreciated.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Default RE: Help... '07 Need to replace front forks and triple trees.

Here's some pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/24392/459E7EA0ADB14B069AE4A54A041CB9C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24392/F7BF34AACBE6436FBF225BDD20C35988.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM

1 more

[IMG]local://upfiles/24392/83E2354C5BCB49739B32C18C96D3D16E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Only way i can tell you is to pull the tank cover and run some straps around the frame threw where the frame is split, looks like a triangle. One on each side, one where the flow tube is on the right and same on the left. Make sure not to pinch/crush anything and then get you a engine puller like you would use on a car to pull the engine and hook it up and lift it that way. If you dont have a engine puller find you a good support in a garage and run a comalong to lift it that way.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM

I usually hang the bike with good quality straps throught the frame. I double-up on the straps(ratchet type)so I can have one set support the bike while adjustments are made with the other set. You can pull the front or rear as high as is needed. In your case you only have to go high enough that the steering head will drop out after you remove the upper triple clamp. Use your bike stand to support the rear of the bike or hang it too...Not off the ground but enough tension that it doesnt tip on you.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take plastics off if they are not already off... support rear in a bike stand... then jack up from under the oil pan .. done all the time .. totally fine for what you are doing

ify ou look around you can get fork set ups cheaper then 600

and also if you busted the tripple like that .. i gotta say (sorry to burst your bubble)

99 out of 100 times you teaked your frame as well ..

takes alot to bust a tripple like that

Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Great, thanks for the helpful replies.We hadalso thought of similar ideas with the straps, and feel this will probably the way we'll go to give it a shot.

I'm praying there is no damage to the frame, as there is no visible cracks, dents, or bends as far as we can tell right now. But say the frame was tweaked in someway around the triple tree, what could some possibleeffects of this be, once we get the forks and radiator repaired? Would they be noticeable while riding?

I've been riding for 2 years, but am pretty new to all this DIY work, although I do have some reliable and knowledgeable friends assisting me.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:51 PM

It will ride offline and ride to one side or the other.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Got the bike strapped up and hanging in the garage from some trusses in the attic and everything worked out great. Was able to get the broken forks off and am getting the new forks ready for installation with the wheel and all.And when checking the frame again, paying special attention to the area in and around where the forks attach to the frame, there are no stress marks, cracks, or dents to be seen anywhere. Radiator's coming Wednesday, and should have everything done by Thursday, except for the fairings, which I will still need to order.

Everyone's telling me how lucky I am for 1) how little damage I suffered as a result of the crash, and 2)how the damage to the bike is really not as bad as it easily could've been (i.e. totaled).

Thx again for the advice, and hopefully I'll be able to post pics of the completed bike, and letting you know how much I enjoy riding her again. This time, I'm hoping to do something custom white/silver with the paint and some chrome wheels, so she should be nice and purdy.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

invest 50.0 and change the bearings and races in the stem and in teh frame ... i assure you they took a hit ..

if you look at the race you will see little 'lines' where the ball bearings 'hit' the race on impact

Quick Reply: Help... '07 Need to replace front forks and triple trees.