gilles bar risers are a load of crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry gilles bar risers are a load of crap

i recently bought a pair of gilles bar clip ons with risers , these claim to be able to tilt the ends back some what and up i think upto 60mm ....... they also claim that all this is done without any need for extending the brake and clutch hoses ?

this in my view is utter crap as the lines are way short and even if the reached the reservoirs would foul the fairing ?

has anybody out there got these fitted to their bike or had any experience of them as id like to see if its just me or what ?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by m007slater
i recently bought a pair of gilles bar clip ons with risers , these claim to be able to tilt the ends back some what and up i think upto 60mm ....... they also claim that all this is done without any need for extending the brake and clutch hoses ?

this in my view is utter crap as the lines are way short and even if the reached the reservoirs would foul the fairing ?

has anybody out there got these fitted to their bike or had any experience of them as id like to see if its just me or what ?
Since you said 60mm, I assume you have the 60mm riser kit. The only thing I have seen them claim with the 60mm kit is to raise your clip-ons 60mm or 2 1/3". I haven't seen anywhere that said the 60mm riser kit retains the stock lines, where did you see this? I actually haven't even seen where the claimed you wouldn't need to trim the fairing with one of their riser kits. You do have to run 40mm bar ends though, even in the basic Variobar setup without any of their risers.

The Helibars raise the bars 1 3/4" and barely retain the stock lines, you actually have to bend the reservoir mounting tab to make it work.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM

they are variable height , but at maximum height there isnt a chance on this earth they will work will stock lines .......with no height adjustment they may well work but whats the point in bar risers that dont rise .........its a bit of a con really ...they should say longer lines are required after a certain height rather than misleading the buyer with claims that longer lines arent required ............poor show gilles people

Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 AM

.....its a bit of a con really ...they should say longer lines are required after a certain height rather than misleading the buyer with claims that longer lines arent required ............poor show gilles people
As you mentioned in your first post, where exactly did they "claim" that their riser kits do not require longer hoses?

Until Helibars modified their CBR1k kit fairly recently, all riser kits required longer hoses. Obviously the standard Variobars do not need longer hoses, but I would be surprised if you can share anywhere they claim that one of their add-on riser kits also do not require extensions.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM

on the gilles website when you look up the variobars under cbr1000rr section it states on the listing that no mods are required ...... ? as i say its a con and have sent a email of disapproval to gilles ..........

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM

on the gilles website when you look up the variobars under cbr1000rr section it states on the listing that no mods are required ...... ? as i say its a con and have sent a email of disapproval to gilles ..........
Gilles does say their Variobars require no mods, which is obviously true and not missleading. However, they never state anywhere that any of their separate Variobar extensions do not require any mods.

I do not even see the Variobars in the cbr1000rr section of the Gilles website.

http://www.gillestooling.com/en/moto...Honda&m_id=205

Do you have a link to the page you are looking at?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM

sorry i forgot to mention the most important bit of having the riser kit with the bars ................i know the bars alone dont need longer lines but to use the riser kit with the bars you need longer lines for sure though im sure theres no mention of this in the sales pitch ? maybe wrong ?
even if they didnt how do the explain the fact the components on the bars hit the fairing when at raised height ?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM

sorry i forgot to mention the most important bit of having the riser kit with the bars ................i know the bars alone dont need longer lines but to use the riser kit with the bars you need longer lines for sure though im sure theres no mention of this in the sales pitch ? maybe wrong ?
even if they didnt how do the explain the fact the components on the bars hit the fairing when at raised height ?
Where exactly did you see the sales pitch for their risers and the CBR 1k? I haven't yet seen anything for their risers specifically that said you wouldn't need to trim fairing or extend your lines.

Do you have a link to where you read this?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 PM

gilles emailed and said they dont make the risers for my model so i presume these are from a 2005 bike ? he also said longer lines are needed and if used on a 2006 model the fairing would required trimming or relocation or changing of the reservoirs would be required also ...........
this means they are going back on ebay and i will be happy with bike as it was ........

Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 AM

gilles emailed and said they dont make the risers for my model so i presume these are from a 2005 bike ? he also said longer lines are needed and if used on a 2006 model the fairing would required trimming or relocation or changing of the reservoirs would be required also ...........
this means they are going back on ebay and i will be happy with bike as it was ........
Gotcha, so it sounds like the "claims" you were referring to earlier were made by a seller on eBay and not by Gilles. Pretty clear now why you wouldn't share where you had seen all of these "claims"............