flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flywheel

Well my 06 has joined the baked stator club. I put an aftermarket (electrosport) stator on after the dealer said my VIN was not in the extended warrany category. After two weeks the new stator went all kinds of crispy on me. So I called electrosport, and while they will honor their warranty they told me the problem in the system is the magnets in the flywheel. When I called the local dealer to ask if there was a new flywheel for an 06, I got told there wasn't one. I asked if the replacement flywheel included in the 04/05 warranty repair would fit 06, and was told they wern't aware that repair included a flywheel. One search on here will bring up plenty of posts about replacing the stator and flywheel on 04/05 bikes. Does anyone know if there is an upgraded flywheel for 06 and maybe have a part number? Thanks!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: flywheel

I dont think there is an upgrade for your bike. I think the 04-05 bikes that got the upgrade, got the flywheel that is in your 06 bike. According to Honda, there is no problem with the 06-07. Even though there are quite a few 06-07 stator issues popping up.

Seeing that it fried so quickly, I might suspect something else is going on though. that is aweful fast fora stator to go out.

Do you have anything added to the bike electrical? headlights, turn signals, power commander?

It is a hit and miss thing though. I've logged almost 15,000 miles on my 05 without any issues at all.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 AM

It could always be the rectifier my friends battery wouldn't stay charged and we thought it was the stator it was the rectifier just a though.
Noah

Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Noah0708

It could always be the rectifier my friends battery wouldn't stay charged and we thought it was the stator it was the rectifier just a though.
Noah

+1

Same exact thing on my buddy's.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM

This article is what really has me wanting toget anew flywheel.

The regulator-part of the regulator-rectifier needs to measure the DC-voltage somewhere in the system. On the cheapest built units (quite a lot of OEM ones) this is done not by measuring the DC-voltage in the DC-system, but by looking at the AC-voltage in between one stator-phase and the ground, and sometimes the excess power is shorted to ground from just one or two input-AC phases instead of all three phases that are regulated. The better built units measure the output-voltage of the unit itself and regulate the input AC accordingly by shorting more or less power to ground, an equal amount off all three phases.

When you try to remove the stator cover you won't have any doubt there are some strong magnets on the origional flywheel. I think our stator burnouts are coming from shorting all the excess power to ground, especially if it is only one phase that regulator is taking to ground.

I'm going to wire up an amp gauge in the ground circuit and see how much power is really going through that circuit.

Here is the link to their full article

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...stem-works.php

I guess I will put their regulator rectifier on my bike. Here is their rundown on the 06-07

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...reet_46250.php

Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM

My '04 just had its recall service performed at Mountain Motorsports here in Atlanta Georgia. The service technician named Keith told me two things right off the bat (1) the stator was not functioning (2) Honda warrantied both the stator replacement and the flywheel. He mentioned the 05- 06 had the same issue. There's a service bulletin which extends the manufactures warranty for an additional five years based on your VIN.I contactedAmerican Honda (1.866.784.1870)after learning this information and yes they in fact covered the cost of replacing the stator, flywheel, and labor. The only item not covered was the battery. Lucky for me, I had already bought another battery thinkingit was time for a replacement otherwise a Yuasa ($110) would have been installed and billed. Feel free to give Keith a call at 770.761.4800 and press 3 for the service department. Hope this helps andgood luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 1000rrarmyguy

This article is what really has me wanting toget anew flywheel.

The regulator-part of the regulator-rectifier needs to measure the DC-voltage somewhere in the system. On the cheapest built units (quite a lot of OEM ones) this is done not by measuring the DC-voltage in the DC-system, but by looking at the AC-voltage in between one stator-phase and the ground, and sometimes the excess power is shorted to ground from just one or two input-AC phases instead of all three phases that are regulated. The better built units measure the output-voltage of the unit itself and regulate the input AC accordingly by shorting more or less power to ground, an equal amount off all three phases.

When you try to remove the stator cover you won't have any doubt there are some strong magnets on the origional flywheel. I think our stator burnouts are coming from shorting all the excess power to ground, especially if it is only one phase that regulator is taking to ground.

I'm going to wire up an amp gauge in the ground circuit and see how much power is really going through that circuit.

Here is the link to their full article

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...stem-works.php

I guess I will put their regulator rectifier on my bike. Here is their rundown on the 06-07

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...reet_46250.php
How well established are these Electrosport folks? Like others have mentioned before,when a new stator fries so quickly the rectifier/regulator isthe first thing I'd look at. I can't believe they haven't recommended this. I'm also having trouble with their "shorting excess power to ground"contention. Thatseems likesuch a caveman way to design a regulator, in the 21st century there are better ways of dealing with excessive stator voltage. Maybe it's notthat simple, better designsmightbe more expensive,more bulky and weighmore. If Ihave time I'll do some investigating on my bike and verify whether or not the claims electrosport makes seem plausible.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 AM

I have an 06 1000rr with about 20k miles, the stator went out two weeks ago and I have a new one on the way. One of the coils was fried. Now after reading this I'm more worried, am I going to have to spend another $150 or so for a new R/R? We'll see after friday when the new stator arrives.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: lasrred99gt

I have an 06 1000rr with about 20k miles, the stator went out two weeks ago and I have a new one on the way. One of the coils was fried. Now after reading this I'm more worried, am I going to have to spend another $150 or so for a new R/R? We'll see after friday when the new stator arrives.
It's quite possible the R/R is what caused the stator to burn out. If I were going to connect a new stator to the existing R/R I would find someone with an AC clamp-on ammeter and measure the current in each of the three yellow wires. All should read about the same (~15 amps at idle). If they're imbalanced, shut the engine off and order a new R/R...