CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   First superbike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/first-superbike-148660/)

JakeNackley 08-18-2013 08:23 PM

First superbike

So I am 17 years old and I have never been on a motorcycle in my life but I have been doing a lot of research on superbike a and I want a cbr1000rr. But I have a few problems one my parents don't want me to have one so I have to buy it behind there back and put the title in my name behind there back I live in Florida and I am not 100% sure if I can do that. Andy last concern is if this bike is a real deal it seems too good to be true 2004 Hona CBR1000rr let me know what you all think and can you give me your input on what I should do or how to convince them to let me get a bike. Thanks to all who respond.

74demon 08-18-2013 08:46 PM

Your parents are wise. You should listen to them.

Going behind their back is not a good idea. When you are on your own, you can be as dumb as you want to be without lying to them.

Sebastionbear1 08-18-2013 08:57 PM

Welcome to the CBR Forum Jake,

I'm with Demon on this one. Keeping it hidden from your folks is not a good idea. I had similar problems when I was growing up - a long, long time ago and I first had to prove to my parents that I was capable on a bike so bought a Vespa 150 Super :D

When they could see that I was going to be a 'safe' rider, I bought a larger bike. I had been riding on the dirt for years by this stage though.

Be up-front, be respectful and above all, start with a smaller bike!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Cheers, SB

f3racer 08-18-2013 10:57 PM

not to seem like an insult but that cbr1k is way too much bike for most people much less a 17 yr old.

74demon 08-18-2013 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by f3racer (Post 1246587)
not to seem like an insult but that cbr1k is way too much bike for most people much less a 17 yr old.

That's what we are saying, and I'm sure you've been told already.

The 1krr will not even be an enjoyable ride for a complete novice rider. Start smaller, way smaller, and really learn how to ride first. Just about any bike out there will be plenty fast enough.

Are you trying to impress your friends? They won't be. They will be laughing at you because you will be way over your head, until you come home in a body bag. Then nobody will be laughing.

Sickler 08-19-2013 06:31 AM

I personally started with a 600CC and that was nerve wrecking.

Not to add I'm 23, 6'0" & 225lbs.

If you're smaller than I am, I strongly recommend buying a smaller bike.

Also, maybe wait until you're a little more independent before buying a motorcycle. Not only on account of your parents, but a motorcycle is a big responsibility to maintain.

RoadiJeff 08-19-2013 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JakeNackley (Post 1246570)
So I am 17 years old and I have never been on a motorcycle in my life but I have been doing a lot of research on superbike a and I want a cbr1000rr.

There's just so much wrong with that.

When I was 17 I thought I knew better than my parents about a lot of things. As I got older I learned that they were generally right and their rules and limits that they had set for me were there to keep me safe. The 1976 Trans Am that I wanted probably wasn't the best choice for a first car but I really wanted one, after seeing the movie "Smokey and the Bandit", and my parents wouldn't co-sign on the loan. Years later I understood why.

It's not a good idea to start out on a 1000. Take the MSF Basic Rider course, see how you like it, impress your parents with a really high score on the written and riding tests at the end and THEN see if they will support you wanting to get a bike. However, start out smaller and work your way up.

jeffjones 08-19-2013 08:20 AM

If you start on a bike like that at your age it will take longer to get skil then if you started out small and worked your way up.

Watch the video below at the guy with the 35HP 250cc passing all the other riders in the corners on their 175HP bikes.

Kuroshio 08-19-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 1246630)
There's just so much wrong with that.

http://api.ning.com/files/vrQldbUtCm...500&height=375

There's so much wrong with this thread :icon_screwy: Pretty positive nobody on THIS forum is going to advocate any part of this being a good idea. So rather than watch it fly downhill from here I'm gonna lock it.