Engine light coming on - and exhaust changes - help !

Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light coming on - and exhaust changes - help !

Hi Everyone, first post and first time cbr owner (long time rider tho). Got an 09 cbr1000rr ABS few months ago and loving the bike but have a weird issue that has been driving me nuts for weeks, and cant figure it out.

Every time I ride (started about a month ago), the engine light will come on, comes on anywhere from 5 to 20 min into a ride. Its on solid, and if I turn the bike off and on, its goes off right away...Dont even have the cycle the key, just shut if off, restart, light goes off...Sometimes it comes back on again, but not always. No idea whats happening, but the one thing I notice for sure is that the exhaust has a different tone when the light is on (typically louder and not as smooth), and it also backfires more, I can notice it every time the light comes on. I have a M4 slip on exhaust, servo motor has been fully removed but I have a servo buddy installed. I've owned the bike like 3 months, so not really sure what the previous owner did as far as mods, but it was fine for the first month or so. I think the air intake mod has been done. Someone mentioned something about an o2 sensor, but Im pretty sure this model doesnt have one (so I've read), and dont see a o2 sensor bung on the stock exhaust or connector pipe.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to read the error codes tossed by the computer.

Got a manual? If not, it ought to be a priority.

Oh...and you really shouldn't double-post.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoWars
Need to read the error codes tossed by the computer.

Got a manual? If not, it ought to be a priority.

Oh...and you really shouldn't double-post.
Hey, I have the manual but theres nothing that states a solid engine light unfortunately, usually it blinks.
- sorry for the double post, wasn't sure what forum I should have this in.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think to get a current error code, just need the key on and the sidestand down. To get all the codes, will need to remove the seat and find the red DLC connector. Pop the cap off, short the two connector terminals, and turn the key on. I think there's supposed to be one long blink, followed by the code (slow blinks = first code digit, faster blinks = second code digit).