Do fuel injectors make noise? Is my engine pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do fuel injectors make noise? Is my engine pinging?

Hi all,

I just picked up a '07 1000RR Respol and noticed a few distressing things on my first ride.

1. I hear some kind of light pinging or a maybe arepetative rattling/squeaking/chirping sound at lower RPMs when I open the throttle past ~15%. Is this normal? It's not loud, but it's noticable at lower speeds when there's not too much wind noise. The dealer put ~2 gallons of "premium" in the tankand I topped it off with 91 octane. Do I need more octane or is this something else? Do theprimary fuel injectors make audible noises? I'm really worried about this...

2. When putting the bike into 1st gear (from neutral), it's a fairlyhearty engagement. Shifting up to 2nd and 3rd seems kind of harsh too.Does this improve with break-in?

Please help put my mind at ease. Thanks...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Default RE: Do fuel injectors make noise? Is my engine pinging?

the "fuel injector" noise youre hearing is actually your valves tapping and yes its normal to hear that sound. my bike is a little over a year and a half old and has almost 28k on it and i have heard that sound from day one and you just get used to it the only time you need to worry abou tit is when you start to hear it above wind noise, cause then its time for a valve job lol. and as for the tranny "hearty engagement" that is also normal mine still does it but not as hard as it did when it was brand new... just break her in and you will be good to go.....

Old 03-25-2007, 03:36 AM

+1

Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 PM

After more research, it looks like the noise is a pinging issue. This makes sense since the noise is a function of throttle position. If better fuel doesn'tfix it, I'll have to find a way to alter the ignition timing at lower RPM.I simplyrefuse tolive with this...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

After more research, it looks like the noise is a pinging issue. This makes sense since the noise is a function of throttle position. If better fuel doesn'tfix it, I'll have to find a way to alter the ignition timing at lower RPM.
It's not a pinging issue. These are engines with moving parts. They're going to make noise. There is no such thing as a quiet engine!!!

I simplyrefuse tolive with this...
well then you better sell the bike.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Like they said, the noise is normal. I had the same concerns with my '05 Repsol, and any message board you go to they'll all tell you the same thing-they all do it. One of my buddies had a GSX-R750 and he said that it made more racket than the 1KRR!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

It's not a pinging issue. These are engines with moving parts. They're going to make noise. There is no such thing as a quiet engine!!!
How do you know it's not pinging? When cruising along at 3-4k, the engine is nice and quiet. When I open the throttle a little to maintain speed up a hill, this pinging noise starts in. This is not valve train noise.

Extra timing advance can help with emissions, and I wonder if this pinging is related to Honda's efforts to meet emissions without the use of catalytic converters. The owner's manual references some light pinging as being "no cause for concern" unless it persists. Excessive pinging can "cause engine damage".

I will not tolerate an engine that pings just to meet emissions.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:36 PM

whatever.

enjoy your new ride.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:57 PM

What you bought is a machine that has been well thought out.Like others have said machines make noise.That bike is bullet proff.Ride the living **** out of it and enjoy it.Stop worrying.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Mine does the same thing and i have tried every brand of fuel you can think of except 100+ octane only because its a new bike and under warranty.

Quick Reply: Do fuel injectors make noise? Is my engine pinging?