Damage from Synthetic Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Ty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage from Synthetic Oil???

I saw another thread elude to some mileage suggestions before using synthetic. Out of curiosity, what would actually happen if you used synthetic right from the get-go? I have a friend with a Hayabusa and he has used synthetic from his first oil change at like 500 miles and it seems to run just like it should. I waited until about 7k on this bike before the synthetic went in. I could definitely tell that something had changed when I switched to synthetic. Does anyone know why we are supposed to wait and if it's even necessary to wait? On that note, has anyone run synthetic from the start, and have you had any problems?

Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Damage from Synthetic Oil???

you get conflicting views and information from everyone, including their mothers. my experience is that they slow down the engine's break in process.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM

there are a lot of oil analysis experts out there that say that you can put synth immediatly.

scootr from 1000rr.net who analyzes engine oil for a living has stated time and time again that break in ocurrs during the first 100 miles or so and that since break in is due to the cross hatches on the piston rings wearing into the cylinder walls. oil really has nothing to do with it.

again, all i know on this particular subject is what the experts in the field say.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Lots of cars these days (mine included) come with synth. oil in the crankcase. I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM

I just recently had my 1st oil change on my 08 cbr 1000rr, change the oil at 700 miles...it was Repsol 10W-50 full synthetic....and after about 200 miles into it...it started making a very bad noise...i took it to the dealership and explained the problem to them...and they stated that you shouldnt switch to synthetic until around 3k miles...so i had another oil change to see if it'll stop the noise to Mobil 10W-40 semi-synthetic...it quite down a little bit but it still making that noise...i dont know what it can be...can anyone help..dealership suggested if it keeps on, to take it back and it probably need to be rebuilt.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rings have to seat, that is wear into the shape of the cylinders. Full syn hinders if not stops this processes because of its slipperiness. This is all of course theory and opinion. Personally I'd wait til I had roughly 3k on it.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As many opinions as their are ********. I only use mobil1 from the first oil change. Synthetic oil is dino oil ... just has been chemically manipulated so all chains are the same. Fewer broken chains = less oil burn, less acid and less viscosity breakdown. Some peeps seem to think because it says synthetic on it that it comes from NASA ... same old dino oil just refined mo better.

And dude, if your bike is making a "bad noise" at under 1000 miles the dealership needs to address the issue and stop giving you the run around. Bad noises come from NOT changing the oil or using the wrong viscosity ... 10/50 synth should not have caused any bad noises. Should actually quiet down some of the clutch growl.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM

i changed my oil after 150 miles, put in quaker state and did a trackday. by the fourth session, i was woT!
it's got about 3000 miles, i'll go a couple more thou and use nothing other than lubrication engineers. it is the best and it will shift better.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM

I switched over to synthetic at about 2000 miles. If the rings aren't seated bythen, they ain't never gonna be. Well that's my opinion anyway...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM

your not supposed to use synthetic due to the rings needing to seat.....the synthetic oil doesnt run as hot and gives more lubrication not allowing them to seat properly.

Quick Reply: Damage from Synthetic Oil???