Clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch noise

Long story short, bought a used 04 cbr 1000 from a guy who had previously laid it down. Bike started up fine and ran before I purchased it. Only thing it needed was a stator cover and new stator. I let the bike sit for about 2 weeks waiting on parts. Once I finally get the stator and cover installed I go to start her up and she starts great, however when I let out of the clutch in neutral it wants to bog down and die. I then took off the clutch cover and took apart the the clutch discs, my question is when I pulled one clutch plate out, all of the other ones came with it??? Would stuck clutch discs/ plates cause the bike to bog down and die when the clutch is let out in neutral? And also when i put everything back together, after letting the plates soak in new oil, the bike starts fine, I can let the clutch out in neutral and it doesn't die, however now i get extreme cluth rattle anytime I let the clutch out???? Just confused here!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initially, I think you found the problem. it sounds like you had a clutch disk stuck. With only one stuck, it wouldn't be enough to kill the engine, but certainly enough to bog it down. It would however burn up that disc.

As for the rattle, that more than likely is due to something not being put back together correctly.

Did you put the clutch discs back in the same order you removed them? All of the discs will need to be put back in the order they were removed or you would more than likely get some pretty bad shudder when releasing the clutch.

Im not sure why there is noise, but I would tear back into it to see what is going one. There will be a slight muted rattle when the clutch is out in neutral, but nothing that is as noticable as you are describing.