CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   CBR1000rr 2004 cranks but wont start. Fuel priming (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/cbr1000rr-2004-cranks-but-wont-start-fuel-priming-163316/)

Jason04fireblade 02-10-2023 09:28 AM

CBR1000rr 2004 cranks but wont start. Fuel priming

I was riding the other day and I turned the bike off with the kill switch while sitting at some lights and not wanting the bike to get too hot and then after 1 minute I went to turn it back on and it wouldn't start again. It just cranked and cranked but it didn't cough or anything. Like no spark or no fuel. When I got it home I started investigating. I figured the only thing I did was turn the kill switch off so I started there. The kill switch primes the fuel pump so I know the switch is fine. I can switch it on and off and I can hear the fuel pump priming each time. I have fuel at the injector rails but no spray through injectors. If I spray some fuel directly into the trumpets it fires up until it uses it all. I have checked TIP sensor, stand and neutral sensors and all fine. Fuses all look fine, I can hear the relays clicking when I turn the kill switch on. I don't have any fault lights on the dash. The spark plugs are just under a year old but I was riding it and everything was fine (until it wasn't). I don't know what else to try but I guess I will send the ecu in to get looked at like one of the other members did as I am out of ideas and stuck without my bike.

dannoxyz 02-10-2023 02:10 PM

BAS/TIP sensor problem would disable entire EFI system since it's directly connected to ground-leg of engine-stop relay.

Relays do go bad though, so swap fuel-pump relay with one of others and see if it works.

EDIT: BAS provides ground to engine-stop relay, not fuel-pump relay.

Jason04fireblade 02-10-2023 10:56 PM

Fuel pump is priming so TIP sensor is ok? I think

Originally Posted by dannoxyz (Post 1353259)
BAS/TIP sensor problem would disable fuel-pump since it's directly connected to ground-leg of fuel-pump relay.

Relays do go bad though, so swap fuel-pump relay with one of others and see if it works.

I thought that but the fuel pump runs. It primes everytime I toggle the kill switch to run so I know the BAS/TIP sensor is fine. Something is stopping the injectors from getting power and injecting. It is driving me crazy. I removed the ecm (as if I could do something with it anyway), thinking maybe I could see something and when I disconnect the wiring looms. There is something in one of the connectors that looks like filings or bits of something. I'll attach photo. No idea if it is anything.

dannoxyz 02-10-2023 11:30 PM

ECU is what triggers fuel-pump relay. So at least those 3 parts are OK.

Speaking of ECU, jumper the DLC connector to get ECU to flash error codes. It might know something's wrong with system.

Also measure for voltage at injector and coil connectors with key ON

Jason04fireblade 02-11-2023 12:36 AM

Excellent. I will try thank you. I will let you know.

Jason04fireblade 02-11-2023 12:40 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...4a0baf8180.jpg
Forgot to uoload photo. There are buts of dirt or plastic shavings at bottom of connector dont know where from seeing as ecm sits upside down.

Jason04fireblade 02-21-2023 10:49 PM

I haven't had a chance to work on bike yet but I will tonight I hope. I will start from the beginning and retest everything

Jason04fireblade 03-01-2023 09:41 PM

So new update, still not starting however I started again with my testing
I have spark, I have working side stand, I have working neutral switch, I have reset TIP/BAS sensor, I have pulled the kill switch apart although I know it is working because when I turn it on with the key on, the fuel pump primes and when I turn it off the fuel pump stops priming.I have put fuel in it, I have fuel pump priming and fuel at the secondary injector rail. I have charged battery. I don't have start. I haven't got a tool to test pulses on the injectors but I feel something is stopping the injectors from working. If I unplug 1x injector the bike won't even crank but if they are all connected the bike cranks but doesn't even think about coughing or firing/turning over.

I spray start ya bastard (starter spray straight into trumpets and it starts and runs happy until it runs out of spray. I have checked the 2x fuses near the battery, and all the fuses up the front left. I know it is something ridiculous but for the life of me I can't work it out. I feel without a cable to test the ECU I will have to send the bike in to the shop (which pisses me off because I thought I was better than that).

Any final suggestions anyone before I give up and put it on a trailer to the shop?

Thank you

dannoxyz 03-02-2023 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jason04fireblade (Post 1353474)
I have charged battery. I don't have start. I haven't got a tool to test pulses on the injectors but I feel something is stopping the injectors from working. If I unplug 1x injector the bike won't even crank but if they are all connected the bike cranks but doesn't even think about coughing or firing/turning over.

This is great troubleshooting! Very odd as injector circuit doesn't have anything to do with starter. Lemme look at wiring diagram and see if some kind of short from starter might knock out injector.

Any non-stock wiring or electrical mods?

Jason04fireblade 03-02-2023 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dannoxyz (Post 1353478)
This is great troubleshooting! Very odd as injector circuit doesn't have anything to do with starter. Lemme look at wiring diagram and see if some kind of short from starter might knock out injector.

Any non-stock wiring or electrical mods?

Ok great thank you. Indicators have been changed to LED but was running happily. I was trying to work out what stops the injectors getting their pulse. Only thing I can think of is the ECU. I was under the impression that everything else sensor or switch wise cuts the fuel pump not the injectors or spark. Thank you for thinking about it.