CBR vs ZX 10....Handling question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR vs ZX 10....Handling question

I have a friend that has a 2006 ZX 10 and wants to trade me for my CBR 954 plus some cash. I rode it today, it's very fast but it's not easy to take a corner. Is it me, the bike or do I just need to get used to riding the ZX 10? He can't afford the bike, I have the cash...I looked up articles on the 2006 ZX 10 and it's the number 1 rated bike in 2005 and 2006.Other people I have asked about theZX 10 says it handles great, but I didn'tthink it did. ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS SUBJECT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Default RE: CBR vs ZX 10....Handling question

No doubt it handles different. The 954 turns quick. Very quick. In all honesty, I would be surprised if you (or me) could ride either of them hard enough to push them to the breaking point. Which ever one makes YOU feel the most comfortable is the one you'll go the quickest on. A ZX-10R is an intimidating animal. I've ridden an 05 and it was something else that is for sure. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. My lap times on my 99 900RR were only slightly slower than my times on my GSX-R 1000. Less than 2 seconds per lap (which is a lot in a race, but I'm not running at race pace either. I could get on the power sooner and harder on my 900 because of the way it talked back (and it had less power) to me. It was more confidence inspiring on the brakes and exiting the corner but there is no doubt the 1000 pulls WAY harder, brakes better and is much more stable through long sweepers. So.....it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. No shame in being a brides maid.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 AM

I have the 06 ZX10 in my garage with my 06 CBR1000RR. It is my buddies ZX10 but he has no room for it at his apt.

My wife rides the bike when she wants to ride it. She has a 07 CBR600RR. When we go out for a ride and she takes the ZX10 she seems very cautious riding it, says the bike feels a little funny in the handling dept. First I thought she was just intmidated by the size difference from her CBR600, but everytime we go out she complains a little about the bike.

I've been riding for 25 years basically all hondas, from the 500 interceptor all the hurricanes and CBR600s they made and the 91 900RR. Currently my 06CBR1000RR.
I rode my buddies 06 GSXR1000, and my other buddies 06 Hayabusa. Just to give you a little background on my riding experience.

I never really rode he ZX10 besides taking it home for my buddy one day. Normal speed just a cruise home from the shop basically all straights.

After my wife kept complaining about the ZX10 I said let me take it for a real ride and evaluate the bike myself. I guess I did like the testers and paid attention to every detail. That's when I noticed the bike doesn't really handle as well as my CBR1000RR. After going through some twisties and some nice long corners, my confidence level wasn't really there with the ZX10. Slow turning also made me feel less confident also. Guess my wife knew what she was saying about the handling, when you compare it to a Honda CBR.

The one thing I will say though is the ZX10 is a rocketship in the motor dept. That motor never wants to stop reving. Oh and the brakes are not as sharp as the Hondas by far.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the response. I love my CBR, I never liked Honda, always had GSXR's but now that I have an opportunity to get this ZX 10, in a trade it makes sense in the fact that I would have a way more expensive bike for only $2,000.00 more. Hmm.... I wonder if I would get used to the ZX 10??

Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 AM

Wow, so it wasn't me afterall...I felt the braking was not as good as my CBR also. The strange thing is that it is rated the #1 bike but I'm not feelin' it. I think I need to try riding it again to see, I could always sell it, but that's such a hassle...(the deal is my 2002 CBR 954 for his 2006 ZX 10 plus $2,000.00). Money wise I make out but if I don't like the bike it doesn't make sense.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Sounds like you are going from something you like to something you are not sure of. Why is he so willing to trade? I would not run at this if it were me.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:46 PM

The guy needs the money and likesmy CBR, he's only like 150 pounds (it might be too much bike for him). I'm gonna check the VIN before I do anything. It's a beautiful bike, but looks as you know can be deceiving. I talked to a couple of people and they said the handling should be great and to check the tire pressure. We'll see......

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Its sounds like a difference in taste, if you dont like then you dont like it, mabey swap bikes for a week or so and see if it grows on you.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Gville george that helmet is nice. what is it? and where can i get one?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: vjhils I have a friend that has a 2006 ZX 10 and wants to trade me for my CBR 954 plus some cash. I rode it today, it's very fast but it's not easy to take a corner. Is it me, the bike or do I just need to get used to riding the ZX 10?
I'd say it's all three. You're not going to feel comfortable on a different bike right away, especially if you've not set up the suspension to your liking instead of your buddy's. I've got 2 very different bikes in my garage and when I switch off it takes a few minutes to "re-acquaint" myself to the one I'm on.

Quick Reply: CBR vs ZX 10....Handling question