Can't get that grab in the front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get that grab in the front brakes

I recently picked up 2006 1000rr(which is freakin awesome by the way) with just 5k miles on it. I don't have much modification planned but the one thing I did set out to do was get that grabby feel on the front brakes. About 6 years ago i put SS lines and CRG levers on my yamaha R6. I came away with a strong brake feel that engaged instantly so I wanted to duplicate this on my new bike.

I went ahead and installed galfer SS lines, pads, and the crg roll-a-click levers. I've been dissapointed with the results though and haven't been able to replicate the feel. Most frustratingly is no matter what there is just too much play in the brake lever and it doesnt start to bite really until i've pulled it almost halfway. I keep the clicker setting on 6 at its farthest out, if i were to drop it down to the middle 3 or so I could actually get the lever to touch the handlebar if i squeeze hard.

Just curious, has anyone had any experience similar to this? Anything I could have done wrong? I don't feel any sponginess in the brake when its engaging and im 99% sure I bled the lines properly. I used speed bleeders and did it a couple times from the front left, right, and master and there's definitely no air coming out.

Looking at the mechanism it does appear as though the CRG levers just dont put much pressure on it until i get further down, has anyone else used these? I tried putting the stock one back on and set it to engage as far out as possible and while its a bit better i still can't get anything close to that near instant engagement i want.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM

Ive ridden many different bikes, and to me, Honda's tend to have more progressive brakes than the others. This does mean that the actual travel may be a bit longer, but the actual effort is less, and the brakes have a wider range before locking up. I think you will find that the other brakes engage sooner, but the lever is harder.... not easier, and it takes more effort to actually get the brakes to bite. I personally like the Honda brakes far better than the others.. but a lot will depend on what you are familiar with and what you like.

I don't know if there is anything you can do. Im pretty sure the brake cylinder bore and stroke ratio'd with the size of the calipers is what determines the feel and travel of the brake lever. short of changing one of those, I think your basically stuck with it.

Having said that, it sounds like you may still have some air in the lines. In the past, I've hade air trapped at the lever itself, especially with remote resevoirs. Get a few old towels or anything to cover up your bike around the handlebars. Have friend lean the bike towards the brake lever side. 10-15 degree's should be enough, but just make sure the brake line output is higher than the lever. now, pump the brake a few times and hold the lever down, and slowly loosen the line until the brake fluid shoots out. Do this a few times and that should remove any air that may still be trapped in that location. Again, make sure you cover your bike as the fluid is going to fly everywhere, and you don't want brake fluid on anything.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks. I gave your suggestion a shot this morning but I dont think I was able to get any more air out. I suspect it is as you said and that I just need to adjust my expectations on how this mechanism works. That does at least put my mind at ease that its probably not something I change so I can move forward to getting used to it.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM

could get like a race brake line setup with the double length banjo bolts that run seperate full length lines to each caliper should definetly give you a harder faster bite, but i am happy with my cbrs brake performance i know what your sayin tho im just adjusted to the blades braking i guess.

saw this in general tech might want to take a peek nothin major about it tho https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/regular-vs-full-length-race-brake-lines-117006/

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 10-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same issue. Also went with speed bleeders but finally solved my problems by bleeding the brakes at the banjos first. Then at the speed bleeders. Also upgraded to Vesrah sintered pads and voila!

might want to give those two things a try....