All of a sudden my bike won't start...?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All of a sudden my bike won't start...?

I recently purchased a 2007 1000RR and I've put about 700 miles on it (it's got about 4700 total). I haven't had a single issue with the bike until the other morning when it simply would not start. It was acting like the kill switch was engaged, but it wasn't. The starter was strong with a good charge on the battery, but it just won't fire (and yes...there's gas in the tank). The night before I rode it into my garage with no problems, and then 12 hours later it won't start. If anyone's got any ideas I'd love to hear them. Does this bike have a history of problems with the kickstand kill switch shorting? or fuel lines crimping? or anything at all? Thanks.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Default RE: All of a sudden my bike won't start...?

Did the bike tip over? Sounds like a bank angle sensor to me.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Im not being a smart *** by saying this... Are you trying to start it in gear.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna mention starting it in gear as well, just in case.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Did you run it for a short time and then shut it off? That can sometimes flood the FI bikes. Full throttle while cranking, and then of course let off when it fires.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 AM

So I've determined the fuel pump is working...just not when it's hooked up to the bike. It doesn't even hiss when the key is turned, but when I take it out and test the pump it's working fine. I've got a strong feeling it's a kill switch. I did a small wheely on my way home the night the bike died, but there were no issues until the next morning when I tried starting it. Is is possible the bank angle sensor is tripped...or the kill switch on the handle bar acting up? Where is the bank angle sensor and how do I reset it?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 AM

It does sound like the bank angle sensor. It shuts the fuel pump off when it thinks the bike is tipped over. I'm not sure of a reset, normally when the bike is upright, it resets itself. A kickstand switch should still allow the bikes fuel pump to activate, just not turnover. I think the killswitch is the same. I would look at all of your fuses.

To get to the bank angle senosr, you have to remove your upper fairing. Its attached to your headlight. its located in the middle of your headlight.

I dont want to send you on a wild goose chase. I've never heard of a bank angle sensor just failing. They usually fail due to an impact.

it looks like this.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM

To reset it, Remove the positive battery cable for about 30 seconds and hook it back up, that should do the trick.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM

You said the fuel pump was working but not on the bike! On the pic above that justasquid put up on here right above the angle sensor is the odo/tach plug. I do know if that plug is not plugged in or comes loose from the odo/tach cluster it will not turn the fuel pump on or activate the EFI. This is true on all 03-06 600rrs and 04-071000s.Just my 2cents worth.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the insight. I finally had some more time to work on the bike today. I checked all the fuses and checked the wiring for the tach/odo. No fuses were blown and the wiring looked good, so I decided to put everything back together. I had the battery on a charger for 24 hours, which is the ONLY thing I changed...and the thing fired right up. I'm not convinced that was the problem, though, since the starter was turning so strong before I charged to battery. Hopefully the bike doesn't pull this stunt again when I'm out of town with it. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.