Adding a slip-on...do I need a Power Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a slip-on...do I need a Power Commander?

I've got an '08 CBR1000RR (contrary to my username lol) and I'm about to order the Two Brothers slip-on. I've heard that just a slip-on will require adding a Power Commander but I can't imagine it affects air/fuel that much. Anyone know if it's really needed? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Adding a slip-on...do I need a Power Commander?

No it is not "needed", it will run just fine without. Slip on's alone are mostly for sound not performance, although it will breathe a bit better then stock.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 PM

ypu will see a gain in power with a PCIII but you would also see a gain with the stock exhaust and a PCIII.
You dont have t get one, but if you wanted to get one it wouldnt hurt.

All depends on what your looking for Verses the cash your willing to throw at it.

Personally i recon the bike has enoug power for 95% ofpeople out there (me included) but eveyone likes a great soundng exhaust

Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 PM

The only wayyou'll really know is to install the system and take O2 readings. A PCIII won't do anything for a stock bike except clean up the low RPM range a little.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: R6WS6

I'm about to order the Two Brothers slip-on.
first of all save your money and buy a good pipe. if it is going to make noise make sure it makes power too.

as for the PC as stated not required but you get to maximize the bike with or with out a pipe with a custom map.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM

yep as all stated above. Except I disagree about the power commander not doing anything fora stock bike. If you just download a map, then yes, it will only clean up the throttle response a bit. But, if you do an actual dyno tune on a stock bike with a power commander, you can see pretty amazing results. I've seen as much as 8 hp throughout the rpm range and a 6 hp gain on top end with an otherwisestock R6. You can also really clean the power curve for better drivability.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM

talking about a good exhaus what about the jardine RT1 foran 07,1000rr????
is it a good exhaust ??

Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

No it is not "needed", it will run just fine without. Slip on's alone are mostly for sound not performance, although it will breathe a bit better then stock.
a slip-on such as jardine fits ure description-my 06 with an arata s/o and custom mapped definetely changed power output

Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: justasquid

yep as all stated above. Except I disagree about the power commander not doing anything fora stock bike. If you just download a map, then yes, it will only clean up the throttle response a bit. But, if you do an actual dyno tune on a stock bike with a power commander, you can see pretty amazing results. I've seen as much as 8 hp throughout the rpm range and a 6 hp gain on top end with an otherwisestock R6. You can also really clean the power curve for better drivability.
Well... ACBR isn't an R6. I've logged over 100 miles on my CBR,collecting AFR, throttle position, and RPM data withmy laptop ina backpack.I'm not seeing any deficiencies in the CBR's fuel delivery that would rob us of any free horsepower. Has someone dyno'd a stock bike before and after installing a PCIII? If there are gains to be had, I'd love to know what kind of map change they made.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: mexpipe

talking about a good exhaus what about the jardine RT1 foran 07,1000rr????
is it a good exhaust ??
Sato, Arata, Akropvic. these are good exhaust. anything else is throwing money away in my opinion and from my reasearch.

Quick Reply: Adding a slip-on...do I need a Power Commander?