CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   2013 1000rr - low on oil according to the manual's procedure (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/2013-1000rr-low-oil-according-manuals-procedure-151144/)

redlinernyc 03-13-2014 06:22 PM

2013 1000rr - low on oil according to the manual's procedure

Hey guys.

I did the first oil change on my 2013 1krr. Filled the new oil filter before screwing it in and added slightly more than 3 quarts into the engine. I forgot to start the bike and recheck the level. But I did check the level after pouring and it was at the top line.

Had to run a quick errand so I took the bike. Rode it a mile to the store and back home. Then I checked the oil level according to the owner manual method which states to check 2-3 minutes after shutoff. The oil was just slightly,over the low mark. but it did register on the dipstickThis scared me knowing I rode with the oil level that low. Anyway I could have damaged something or contributed to a shorter engine life?

When I waited 10 minutes or so after engine shutoff the oil level on the dipstick was about halfway between low and full. But according to the manual's procedure, I was riding low on oil.

I'm going to guess and say I didn't mess anything up but curious to see what you have to say. This doesn't qualify as oil starvation does it? Sorry just being paranoid since its a new bike.

74demon 03-13-2014 07:53 PM

You're fine. No damage will occur from briefly being a little low.

You are checking it with the bike level I hope.

redlinernyc 03-13-2014 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1267297)
You're fine. No damage will occur from briefly being a little low.

You are checking it with the bike level I hope.

Absolutely, level.

At all times, oil did register on the dipstick, although it was on the lower end

RoadiJeff 03-13-2014 11:01 PM

When you check it make sure both tires are touching the surface and that it is on level ground. Also, it needs to be held up at the balance point while checking.

I have an '08 version of this one and the way I do it is when I insert the dipstick to where the threads are touching the case I rotate the stick at least one revolution COUNTERclockwise. That way, the stick doesn't screw into the case but it gets a nice, even film of oil all the way around the stick. It makes it easier to read the oil level.

When I first started checking it I'd just insert the stick without rotating and it would read full on one side and halfway empty on the other.

redlinernyc 03-14-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 1267318)
When you check it make sure both tires are touching the surface and that it is on level ground. Also, it needs to be held up at the balance point while checking.

I have an '08 version of this one and the way I do it is when I insert the dipstick to where the threads are touching the case I rotate the stick at least one revolution COUNTERclockwise. That way, the stick doesn't screw into the case but it gets a nice, even film of oil all the way around the stick. It makes it easier to read the oil level.

When I first started checking it I'd just insert the stick without rotating and it would read full on one side and halfway empty on the other.

I appreciate the input and I always check oil the proper way...level, steering straight, etc. My main question had to do with the low reading on the dipstick due to me forgetting to start the bike and recheck the oil level after the oil change. So after the recommended 2-3 minutes the level was quite low after my 1 mile ride. When I waited 10 minutes the oil level was much higher. Just worried about that short ride with low oil level even though it DID register on the dipstick.

RoadiJeff 03-14-2014 10:33 AM

I guess what I was saying by describing the method I use to check it is that it may not have been low, depending on which side of the stick you were looking at.

PossibleOne 03-14-2014 06:44 PM

Its only going to matter if the bike stayed at a low oil level when you checked it 10 min. later or any later for that matter. The oil didnt disappear and then reappear 10 min. later. You have to understand all of the little nook and crannies and lines and tubes and etc etc etc. that that oil is flowing through, dripping from. etc etc. 2 min. after turn off and I can almost guarentee it is not fully settled back down in the pan. Hell, if you tip your bike to oil window side it takes a good few seconds just to fill up. You werent riding on low.

Also, on my bike mid between low and high is just right. If you put the correct amount in, and there is no oil on the ground, leaks from drain plug, pan, etc etc then that oil is still in there and you are golden.

-Poss

redlinernyc 03-15-2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I (Post 1267421)
Its only going to matter if the bike stayed at a low oil level when you checked it 10 min. later or any later for that matter. The oil didnt disappear and then reappear 10 min. later. You have to understand all of the little nook and crannies and lines and tubes and etc etc etc. that that oil is flowing through, dripping from. etc etc. 2 min. after turn off and I can almost guarentee it is not fully settled back down in the pan. Hell, if you tip your bike to oil window side it takes a good few seconds just to fill up. You werent riding on low.

Also, on my bike mid between low and high is just right. If you put the correct amount in, and there is no oil on the ground, leaks from drain plug, pan, etc etc then that oil is still in there and you are golden.

-Poss

Thanks very much the the reply!

It does make sense what you're saying, but why does Honda specify 2-3 minutes if its not enough time for oil to settle back down? I mean, one could easily overfill thinking they were low if they kept checking their oil that way.

PossibleOne 03-15-2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by redlinernyc (Post 1267463)
Thanks very much the the reply!

It does make sense what you're saying, but why does Honda specify 2-3 minutes if its not enough time for oil to settle back down? I mean, one could easily overfill thinking they were low if they kept checking their oil that way.

Here is my opinion. I have always owned a Honda of some sort. Cars, bikes, off road, etc etc. Most if not all are specified to check the oil level this way, the checking just a few minutes after. Some are even as vague as "wait a few minutes". From my understanding though, this is what I determined, when oil is warm and thins and becomes more fluid. When putting oil in and determining oil level they are telling you the specific level for a running engine, since a running engine is circulating the oil and that circulation needs to be enough oil to fully circulate. This is why I feel they say check just after a few minutes. Because at 2 minutes say, you are going to get as close to an operating temperature without physically running the motor. Verifying that there is enough oil in after 2 min. tells the operator that there is enough oil for full circulation. As oil begins to cool, it thickens, in a sense becomes more dense (opposite of expansion). This is why we check at cold and at hot. Because of the difference in thickness you will get 2 different readings when it is cold vs. it is hot. My 2 cents.

Regarding the overfill thing. If the operator follows the specs on how much oil to put in, AND the bike is operating how it should, then overfill shall not be an issue since there is a recommended amount of oil to put in. Time is essence, because it takes time to cool and heat oil. Impatience is the culprit for overfilling, but I will say, vague if not very vague instructions do not help the cause at all. If they say your motor is rated at 3.5 quarts, then 3.5 is what it needs, regardless of what the reading on the stick is. Because that reading is going to differ at hot vs. cold, at leaned vs straight, on an incline vs. not. etc. If you really want to get techinical, grab a level and put it on your bike. Oil is fluid afterall, and the slight variation in grade or whatever could cause an out of spec reading. As I said before, the oil isnt going away and coming back. You just have to make sure you are using the proper way to check and add oil at the proper times.

Here is a good article about it.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...out-motor-oil/

-Poss

redlinernyc 03-16-2014 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I (Post 1267505)
Here is my opinion. I have always owned a Honda of some sort. Cars, bikes, off road, etc etc. Most if not all are specified to check the oil level this way, the checking just a few minutes after. Some are even as vague as "wait a few minutes". From my understanding though, this is what I determined, when oil is warm and thins and becomes more fluid. When putting oil in and determining oil level they are telling you the specific level for a running engine, since a running engine is circulating the oil and that circulation needs to be enough oil to fully circulate. This is why I feel they say check just after a few minutes. Because at 2 minutes say, you are going to get as close to an operating temperature without physically running the motor. Verifying that there is enough oil in after 2 min. tells the operator that there is enough oil for full circulation. As oil begins to cool, it thickens, in a sense becomes more dense (opposite of expansion). This is why we check at cold and at hot. Because of the difference in thickness you will get 2 different readings when it is cold vs. it is hot. My 2 cents.

Regarding the overfill thing. If the operator follows the specs on how much oil to put in, AND the bike is operating how it should, then overfill shall not be an issue since there is a recommended amount of oil to put in. Time is essence, because it takes time to cool and heat oil. Impatience is the culprit for overfilling, but I will say, vague if not very vague instructions do not help the cause at all. If they say your motor is rated at 3.5 quarts, then 3.5 is what it needs, regardless of what the reading on the stick is. Because that reading is going to differ at hot vs. cold, at leaned vs straight, on an incline vs. not. etc. If you really want to get techinical, grab a level and put it on your bike. Oil is fluid afterall, and the slight variation in grade or whatever could cause an out of spec reading. As I said before, the oil isnt going away and coming back. You just have to make sure you are using the proper way to check and add oil at the proper times.

Here is a good article about it.

Everything You Need to Know About Motor Oil | Completely Firestone | Firestone Complete Auto Care

-Poss

Makes sense that the reason for the 2 minute check is to try to get an idea of what the oil level is while the bike is running and oil is being circulated.

Everyone says as long as oil is SOMEWHERE on the dipstick, that its safe. I think I'll stick with that. I very much appreciate the feedback you have provided though.