2008 CBR 1000 - acceleration from the line

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 CBR 1000 - acceleration from the line

Being extremely new to motorcycling, I have a question that may seem naive, but here goes:

I recently purchased a CBR1000RR and from the line it does not seem as fast as my Ducati s2r1000. I'm not into popping the clutch or revving too much at the line, but I have noticed that when taking off, it does take until 6k RPM's until it really starts to move. Coming from my Ducati, I'm used to the low end torque, but I was a bit surprised that the CBR seems to be a bit more sluggish for the first few MPH.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with my CBR at all. Frankly, when I get the revs up, it is like riding a frigging missle... I'm simply trying to learn about the differences between my scooters for curiosity's sake as well as to understand technically what's going on. And, if others in this forum have noticed something similar.

Any insights here would be appreciated.

Chris

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: 2008 CBR 1000 - acceleration from the line

welcome to Inline 4's they hall *** around 6k+ but vtwins have the same torque all around just not as much

win some lose some.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Drop a tooth on the front sprocket and you will get a much better feeling bike down low.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
VP

Being extremely new to motorcycling
well there's yer problem

The best modification you can do is to quit screwing around racing while you're still alive and healthy... we've seen too many people get hurt lately, and your racing around on one of the fastest bikes in the world isn't going to gain you any respect.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM

To clarify Any fast acceleration on my end is done in extremely safe conditions My anticipation of a whiplash like start is a bit of a let down. And, higher rpm's are not achieved until speed limit is approached feels like a bummer at times. Therefore, I'll save the "racing" for the track where I can obtain professional coaching in more controlled conditions. So, while I appreciate your feedback, your response did not address my question. Both "RojerLockless" and "TK954RR" offer insight and that's appreciated.

My expectation is a little underwhelmed from 0-30 for "one of the fastest bikes in the world." And being 37 with two kiddos, I'm likely to never know what really happens in the higher gears past 6k rpm. Having a technical curiosity about these things melded with the desire to maximize the fun factor, I'm wondering if my butt in the saddle of a lower revving torque machine is the way to go. Seems like a bit of a waste to use 10% of this awesome bike and a lot less fun coming from someone who knows his limits.

I could be completely mistaken if most on this forum never crack the throttle more than the semi-legal limits and are purely content with owning a bike that could do it if they ever so desired or needed.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

i agree with the -1 tooth in the front it's a huge difference on these bikes, you may even want to go up a few in the back as well if you "hardly rev the bike out"
it will make it quite a different beast.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 AM

pretty much all inline fours are weak off the line stock. you could revv it higher and slip the clutch longer but thats a very good recipe to wheelie off the line. changing the gearing as suggested above will help in delivering the power sooner meaning at a lower mph. the only cheap way to make it faster off the line from red lights and such is to mess with your gearing to deliver the power at a lower mph. sorry if it sounds redundant.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Chris, you have apparently bought the wrong machine. Not sure what youmean by "extremely new to motorcycling" but you have apparently owned at least one other motorcycle. A CBR 1000 and for that matter any of the current liter bikesare considered high performance machines and some operator skill is presumed.With the right rider on board, this machine in stock configuration is capable of running a 9.72 second/145 mphquarter mile.A lot of new riders are jumping on these machines and getting themselves killed, they peel almost one a day off the freeway guardrail around here....sorry just a fact. The '08 Blade has world class midrange and good topend power but is a little lacking in the lowend department especially when compared to a Ducati twin. It isessentially a racing machine with lights.As others have suggested, a simple gearing change will increase driving force at the rear wheel at the expense of top speed. Since it sounds like you have no intention of exploiting the top end power of this machine that may not be a bad idea. Just be careful out there Chris, some of the others might sound a bit gruff but they're just tired of seeing people crippled or worse on these bikes. Honda has done an amazing job of making the new CBReasy to ride but it canstill kill you in a heartbeat if you get in over your head.

Kruz

Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM

You bought the wrong machine, plain and simple. These bikes are desiged as road-racing machines - not drag bikes, though I'd say a sub 10-sec 1/4 is pretty darn respectable.

Any simple investigation into a power curve could've saved you $10K+

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM

S.A. Kruz,

Thanks for the frank reply. I'll clarify about "being extremely new to motorcycling" I've always wanted to have a moto but just never took the plunge. I've raced semi pro cycling in a previous life (lots of criteriums and road races etc.) and always spent my money there but still wanted a motorcycle. So, later in life I jumped in. I purchased a Honda 919, a Ducati s2r1000, and a CBR1000rr..... all of which were purchased in a six week time frame. I'm sure that many of you are thinking this is ridiculous behavior, and I'll admit that it is. But, I'm the type who does it "big" when I get into things. The CBR was over the top.... I just always wanted a bullet bike and I remembered how great it looked at the honda dealer when I bought my 919. Simply put, I thought it looked awesome (I love the new 2008 design) and I just wanted it.

I know my limits and have come to the understanding that I must respect this bike. All the while, analyzing it a bit much. So, it's either something I should trade or just own it with the understanding that I'm not a racer.... just a guy who appreciates having a bike of this class and does not mind tooling around town within the legal limits as well as within my own limits.

So, part of this dialog begs the question. Are any of you other members out there just purchasing a bike like this because you simply appreciate the technology and fine engineering that has gone into it? Or are all of you essentially racing or doing as many track days as you can?

Quick Reply: 2008 CBR 1000 - acceleration from the line