2005 CBR 1000 (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CBR 1000 (need advice)

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum.
Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Just some quick info on myself.
I'm 46 but have been riding since I was 12 and through my early twenties.
After a 20 year hiatus I got myself a Harley 1200 Sporster (nightster) last year and am having an absolute blast. (I hope they are not an anathema)
I can't believe how much fun riding is and how I've missed it terribly.
Now I am looking for a sportsbike like a more recent CBR 1000 or 600 for daily, short distance commuting.

I've got my eye on a used 2005 CBR 1000 with about 5000miles on it for $8000.

The questions I have are:

1. Is this is reasonable price?
2. What things do I need to watch for in this year bike?
3. What sort of gas mileage can I expect from a litre bike vs. a 600 for example?
4. Can I get a nice loud sound from either the 600 or 1000 with after market pipes?

Thanks again
Raz

Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
VP
Default RE: 2005 CBR 1000 (need advice)

Hey Raz,

Welcome to CBRForum! I'm glad you decided to check out the Honda's because they are an absolute blast to ride. We get all sorts of riders (Harley's, Yamahas, Suzuki, etc) who come on board here, so don't mind if anybody gives you a hard time for the HD at first.

To answer your questions

1. It's definitely a reasonable price, but there are certainly cheaper bikes out there with the same year and mileage. I paid $8k for my Repsol almost a year ago. I have seen 06 and 07 bikes less than $8k already.

2. There's no major recalls on the 04-05 1Ks as far as I can remember. The 06-07 bikes had a fuel tank recall which was rather important! I'd just make sure it hasn't been laid down, stunted, raced, abused, etc. etc. Honda's are very reliable, outstandingly solid bikes. I think you should check the tires (less than 3/32 tread means you need new rubber...expect to spend $400 for front and rear), see that the chain has not more or less than 30 MM free play and no rust or else that needs replacing ($150), and there is no leakage of the front forks as that can be a sign of someone who does a lot of wheelies. I'd never buy a bike I couldn't test ride. If something feels funny, take it to a mechanic before you buy.

3. I regularly get over 36 MPG on my 1K, however I have gotten as high as 48 on a highway only trip...the 600s get a few MPGs more, but not as much as you'd think. Not to belittle the 600s though, they are JUST as much a blast to ride especially if you love twisties.

4. There are DOZENS of different exhaust manufacturers, ranging from cheap to uber pricey with every exhaust note and clarity in between. I have D&D which is the most annoyingly loud, obnoxios pipe you can get...however during acceleration it sounds very nice!

Any more questions, feel free to ask away, we aim to please

VP

Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 PM

^ agree completely..... except...... don't get a D and D pipe. lol, sorry, but damn that sound is annoying. Loud for sure, but annoying. Two Bros best sound in my opinion. Deep loud throaty etc. But opinions on sound are gonna vary (duh).

Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 AM

Personally, I think 8 grand is a bit steep. Unless the bike is spotless and has the add ons that you want and or it comes with gear. I would expect around $6500 to $7000 at the most. Im running a Yoshimura on my bike and love the sound of it. It can be a little loud, but its not loud to the rider, only others..lol.. I would suggest a two bros as well, as they do sound good, but they are too loud to the driver in my opinion. they dont have the exhaust tip down at the end and you get a lot of exhaust noise. just my opinion though. For looks, Id go with the D&D or Laser exhaust... but way too loud in my opinion, but they do look awesome.

there was a stator recall on the04-05's, but only on some. I might be mistaken, but I think the replacement offer is for 5 years... but again, I'm not for certain and it may only apply to the original purchaser.. But, I've just over 15,000 miles on mine and havent had any problems at all.

I average about 40 mpg. sometime more, but usually right around there. my riding habits dont vary too often so I think that plays a big role on the fuel economy you will get. 600s usually get around mid 40's, so as like already said, its not a huge difference, unless your in the throttle all the time, then you will notice a difference, but for just cruising, they are very close.

making the switch to a sport bike will be interesting for sure. You will have to get use to revving it a bit higher, but when you do, hold on... Your current ride is putting out around 60-70 hp at the rear wheel. the 1000RR is pushing 150 or so. more than double... and substantially lighter to boot. but, the torque is at a different rpm. its not that the 1200 makes more, it just makes it at a lower rpm the 1000RR. Just remember, its not a twin, you need to rev em. the redline is that high for a reason.. use it....lol..

good luck in your decision. Im kind of jelous. you get the best of both worlds. a cruiser and sportbike.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

maybe 8grand for an 07

Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM

HI guys,

Thanks a lot for your advice. That is very helpful.
I'll be having a look at it today or tomorrow.

To be honest, I've always had my heart set on the GSXR 750 since they came out in the early 80's.
And recently I did test drive it, but found the riding position uncomfortable and the handling a bit stiff.

There happened to be an '05 CBR 1000 in the lot so I took it for a drive and it was love at first ride.
I couldn't believe how intuitive it felt and I just loved the sound and colour (red).
But that one had 25,000 miles and the dealer was asking $7200 so I started looking around on line for a used one which is the '05 with 5000miles which I mention in my previous post.

Outright HP or top-end speed is not important to me.
Besides handling, sound then colour are the next two important things

I know my first choice would be the Repsol colours, if I can get my hands on one.
That thing is simply too cool for words.

And after riding a Harley, I couldn't settle for a quiet bike.
First off sound is a bit of a safety factor I believe, and second, that's how I know when to change gears.

Here's a pic of my Harley and hopefully soon I'll have a CBR I can share with you guys.

Cheers,
Raz

Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 AM

nice bike,

I wasnt trying to imply anything with hp comparision. just letting you know what to expect when you did hop on one.

If outright hp or speed isnt what your after. You really should look into a 600RR. They handle better and are usually a little louder. For what ever reason, every 600 that I ride with is louder than my 1000, even with the same type of exhaust. you could save a grand and but a 600RR and be just as happy with it. you will have to rev the **** out of it to get to hp, but if your mainly after handling, I'd go with a 600.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 AM
VP

The only thing I miss when riding a 600 is the torque...it's still fast, loud and quick but coming out of a turn the midrange is weak...the 1K pulls real hard in every gear

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM

If you're prepared to shop around, you should still find a couple of brand new07 1000's for 9k; a way better deal than buying something someone has just kept for a few monthe and got bored of. But if you really just want to commute short distances then you are doing this bike a huuuuge injustice! You cannot even begin to appreciate how waesome this bike is until you ride it like it was meant to be ridden - the faster you ride it, (on proper roads) the better it is!
And to be honest; if you need noise to tell you when to change gear, maybe you're not ready for this kind of bike...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm sure I'll never do this bike justice.
But I'll have a go at it for sure.

In time, I hope to get into track riding with it.
As for sound, I'm just used to my Harley which doesn't have a tach.

But I'll adapt to this bike in time.

So far, I've got my heart set on the Repsol and will be looking for a used or new '09 over the next six months.

Thanks again,
Raz

Quick Reply: 2005 CBR 1000 (need advice)