07 blow by

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 blow by

I am kind of concerned by these recent things I have noticed with my bike.

History on bike:

I am original owner

Thought I did break in properly but maybe glazed cylinders???? not sure

Oil changes after break in with HP4S Honda Synthetic 10w-30 Oil every 3,500 and oem honda oil filter.

11k miles on it

Power commander/Yoshi Slip on/BMC Filters

Never beat on the bike besides the way she likes it

Ok, First the other day I was out riding around and I had the bike in first gear at a stop and I revved it real quick to about 8 grand and noticed that the bike jumped ever so slightly. It didn't actually jump but you felt it move forward a little bit. Any ideas what that is? original clutch, never clutch the bike to wheelie or anything.

Second, I noticed when I revved the bike in gear at a stop blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Pretty good amount. When in neutral and revved it sends a little blue smoke out at first but then stops. When I am actually moving and I rail on throttle I don't notice any blue smoke but I my just not be able to see it. Don't understand why am I getting this blue smoke on my mint condition one owner bike!!

Thanks everyone

Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM

33 views and not one comment? Whats up guys?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter
I am kind of concerned by these recent things I have noticed with my bike.

History on bike:
I am original owner
Thought I did break in properly but maybe glazed cylinders???? not sure
Oil changes after break in with HP4S Honda Synthetic 10w-30 Oil every 3,500 and oem honda oil filter.
11k miles on it
Power commander/Yoshi Slip on/BMC Filters
Never beat on the bike besides the way she likes it

Ok, First the other day I was out riding around and I had the bike in first gear at a stop and I revved it real quick to about 8 grand and noticed that the bike jumped ever so slightly. It didn't actually jump but you felt it move forward a little bit. Any ideas what that is? original clutch, never clutch the bike to wheelie or anything.

Second, I noticed when I revved the bike in gear at a stop blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Pretty good amount. When in neutral and revved it sends a little blue smoke out at first but then stops. When I am actually moving and I rail on throttle I don't notice any blue smoke but I my just not be able to see it. Don't understand why am I getting this blue smoke on my mint condition one owner bike!!

Thanks everyone
Revving it to 8 grand without a load on the engine is not "beating on" the bike? IMO that IS considered abusing the engine, and I know, plenty of guys do the same thing, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. As to your problem, usually blue smoke means burning oil, and if it's on start-up it could be rings or valve seals, but since yours is already running I'm guessing that you're right, it's bad rings. If you don't notice it under normal running (like with a load on the engine instead of blipping it to 8 grand) and you don't notice a loss of oil in the crankcase then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM

mininsx: Thanks for the reply. Yeah I mean revving my bike to 8 grand in gear at a stop is something I've maybe done twice since I bought the bike new and that was the day I noticed it blow blue smoke and the clutch jump a little. When I said "beating on the bike besides the way she likes it" I meant ripping on her out of a turn hot an heavy hitting 12 grand, grabbing third gear and keep on rolling that throttle. These bikes are race bikes. I am sure they can handle a few throttle bleeps in gear at a stop to high rpms once and a while. I will have to put my gro pro on the tail of my bike and see if it blows blue smoke when I am ripping it around. Nothing on start up and never noticed a loss of oil in crank case.

I mean I have seen guys start their bikes up an immediately red line them just because they wanted to. I would never do that. I don't even ride my bike till it hits at least 150 degrees. Always has a warm up and never abused.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter
mininsx: Thanks for the reply. Yeah I mean revving my bike to 8 grand in gear at a stop is something I've maybe done twice since I bought the bike new and that was the day I noticed it blow blue smoke and the clutch jump a little. When I said "beating on the bike besides the way she likes it" I meant ripping on her out of a turn hot an heavy hitting 12 grand, grabbing third gear and keep on rolling that throttle. These bikes are race bikes. I am sure they can handle a few throttle bleeps in gear at a stop to high rpms once and a while. I will have to put my gro pro on the tail of my bike and see if it blows blue smoke when I am ripping it around. Nothing on start up and never noticed a loss of oil in crank case.

I mean I have seen guys start their bikes up an immediately red line them just because they wanted to. I would never do that. I don't even ride my bike till it hits at least 150 degrees. Always has a warm up and never abused.
I know what you mean, I've been to the AMA Superbike races and seen guys pin the throttle on their bikes with the engine hitting the rev limiter and they're sitting still, and you'd think the thing would just blow up but it doesn't. That's a good idea with the Go Pro, that way you'll know what's going on, and more than likely you don't have a problem at all.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"blipping the throttle" will result in one puff of smoke but not normally another puff at a stop light if the valve seals are starting to wear (not the end of the world).. or if the engine is not fully warmed up with some synthetic oils. Oil pull over (where oil is burned during deceleration) is common with full synthetics in properly maintained engines, but not normally resulting in smoke that you will notice due to ambient air flow. Some engines actually burn oil from day one and its acceptable by manufacturers to a defined limit that most consumers don't agree with. Ultimately the little puff of smoke isn't much to worry about if you aren't losing enough to have to add.

As for the bike jumping forward, that is often caused by a sticking plate. Even just one of the plates having warpage from heat or a slight notch in the basket where it rides will cause this and its common.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Mininsx - Yeah its amazing the motors can handle that. I ran go pro nothing coming out under load. I believe you are correct about no problem. I think what it was from was when I just took that 1000 mile trip I didn't go over 4 grand the whole trip, so there must of just been some build up or something.

Bryce: Awesome, thanks for the response man. I do use fully synthetic but never noticed on decel. Yeah I am under the assumption I was just over reacting. It was just a lot of smoke so it worried me.

Do you think its worth it to pop cover off and take a look at the plates?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Default Looking

Looking never hurts, you never know what you might find. But if it were my machine because there is no real loss of oil i would simply wait until service time and closely inspect the air filter and air box. Look for signs of excess blow by into the air filter, air box, especially coming from the pair port. But i seriously doubt you have an issue that warrants worrying about. There are likely a ton of miles left on your ride.

As for the clutch, I would have that looked at or for little money it costs have it (the plates and steels, baskets/boss if needed) replaced. BEWARE!! If you chose to replace your clutch with other than oem stock parts, you may have to change from synthetic to conventional oil to support the new clutch. Just call whoever you are ordering it from for precise info. Most kevlar clutches will not hold up in synthetic oil. ALSO If you have a clutch line (hose) failing, it can also cause issues like this but is rare until the bike reaches 8 to 10 years old or so normally.

Be safe and enjoy the rest of the season!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 AM

Bryce Swartzwelder : thank you for the response. I will leave the blow by alone for now unless I start noticing major oil loss or something along those lines. I will inspect the clutch myself and see if anything is looking out of the ordinary. If so I will only replace with oem because I have heard things about after market clutches just not working well in the bikes for a few different reasons.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Default You are more than welcome

You are welcome. And as for the clutch, what you said makes perfect sense to me. If you aren't abusive to it, and haven't upped the power substantially i think stock replacement is a good choice whenever the time comes.