CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   04 cbr1000rr clutch kits? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/04-cbr1000rr-clutch-kits-148403/)

slowpoke0412 08-04-2013 07:26 PM

04 cbr1000rr clutch kits?

hey guys, I was out for a ride with a group of friends last night when the strangest thing happened. When we came to a stop sign at the end of the back country road we were on, the leaders took off very aggresively. I also launched my bike hard to keep up. Everything seemed normal at this point. I ran through the first three gears with no problem, but when I hit fourth my bike free-revved then suddenly grabbed and kept going. It also did this going into fifth gear. At that point i shut it down and pulled over. The clutch still feels normal when taking off, but in higher gears while wide open it seems as if my clutch slips. I suspect it is rather obvious what my problem is- my bike has 28k miles on the original clutch and is finally giving up.
So now for the question. What clutch kit would you guys recommend? Also, is it necessary to replace the steel plates and springs or is that just for good measure? I will likely go ahead and replace the springs and steel plates either way. I have searched on google for a bit and found EBC SRK series clutch and Driven Performance. I have not heard of Driven before, and the price makes me suspicious. A complete clutch kit(friction plates, steel plates, and springs) for $100? sounds too good to be true. I found the EBC that come with friction plates and springs only for $104. I am familiar with EBC, but have not used them to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone have a recommendation on what kit I should use, whether it be one of the above mentioned or another? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The search option on the forum wasnt really any help this time(before anybody tells me search)

dont under estimate 1 liter 08-06-2013 12:09 PM

Do you know the recommended life of the clutch? Given normal wear with someone who knows how to use a clutch correctly.

slowpoke0412 08-06-2013 06:28 PM

I recommend the life of the clutch be the same as the life of my bike, but to answer your question I do not know. I have only had this bike for about two months and have recently started drag racing with it. Im sure you know that is not the best thing for the clutch. I am the third owner and I dont know how well the bike was treated before I bought it, but I am doing my best to properly maintain the bike. As for the clutch, I figured it was the most likely culprit considering everything else on the bike seems to be in good shape. As I mentioned before, the bike runs great just the other night it randomly free-revved in 4th gear for the first time and that obviously concerns me. My bike is a daily rider regardless of weather so if something major is wrong I would like to have a heads up so I can fix it quickly. Thanks for the response

raylee 08-06-2013 06:38 PM

Your original lasted you 28k so why not go for another 28k with OEM? I recommend you change the steel plates, springs and even the spring bolts then torque it all down to spec. A stronger clutch grab can cause tranny issues and a sub-par kit can fall apart and put all sorts of interesting bits n' pieces into your crankcase. If you're shopping for price, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up on the OEM stuff. It's not worth it to save yourself a few bucks and end up having headaches down the line.

slowpoke0412 08-06-2013 08:26 PM

thank you raylee. I did not know that a "performance clutch" could cause more harm than good. I will message you later for pricing on all the necessary parts.