CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

ZX14R tested

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZX14R tested

The shop finally got a few Kawasaki ZX14R and I was able to test one yesterday. The ZX feels almost as heavy as the CBR, no problems when it rolls, but you feel some overweight when raising the bike from the sidestand (it has no centerstand). The engine runs very smooth, like an electrical engine, and is extremly responsive from idle all the way up. The bike produces close to 200 horsepower. The guy giving me the bike said- There was a sound from the chain when I pulled a wheelie, maybe the chain should be adjused, but I guess you dont ride as hard me. No I dont, I always run nice and gentle I said.

I did a wheelie immediately after take off, since the guy asked for it so to say.... This bike is incredible strong and gets up on the rear without any tricks even though its heavy front, impressive. The chassi felt rock solid and the gearbox and breaks where impressive to. At the entrance of the highway I got a small and undramatic power slide and went of at maxium power thrue most gears after straigthen up the bike. There was som traffic, so I couldn't make an unlimited flat out. This bike pulls extremly hard, I was smiling inside the helmet while the speed climbed up to insane figures. After about 10 km's I took off at a long and sweeping exit, I geared down and hanged out as much I as could with the under-arm laying on the tank. It was easy to move in the bike. Directly when leaning down I began to give throtthle, and although I was smooth, another rear slide occured, notning scary, it just washed out back some thrue the curve. Up over the highway and down back on the other side. I gave full throttle again, and the bike did a very long power wheelie which almost felt mandatory. I'm not keen doing wheelies, it could be dangerous, but I meantion it beacuse it tells you how strong the bike is and it was easy and felt real safe. On the way back it was less traffic when going out, so I went thrue all the gears up to full speed where the rpm limiter went in. I did'n look at the speedo, but all new bikes end the reading at 299 km/h, so it doesn't tell you much anyway. The stability and smoothness at real high speeds is awsome. What a bike to eat miles with on fast touring trips, and I guess it will deliver also at track days.

End result, nothing to complain about at all, the XZ14R has all the good geenes one have learned to appreciate from the CBR, but on a much higher and refiened level. The risk for power slides could be an issue one have to watch up for. I'll maybe buy one next year when replacing the Suzuki, but havn't decided finally. The Suzuki is real sporty but almost feels as a moped compared to the ZX. The old CBR will be kept as a commuter and for general pleasure, which it has proven so well.

If you have the opportunity, go test riding the ZX14R even if you not are planning to replace bike, it is a great experience and can honestly be described as comfy missile ! The CBR will feel real week and not so solid anymore directly when going back, but it has the power needed anyway, so it's nothing to cry for and the mind will readjust back to CBR standards quite soon. You can find better evalutations for the ZX14R (ZZR 1400 in Europe) on

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03march06_zx14pt2.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/00E2E6BA69D64402A8A4C9F642D2BD6D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Default RE: ZX14R tested

But its so F**KING ugly!

....and its a Crapasaki.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I thought the same when seeing the ZX14R in magazines earlier this year, but I become used to it and when seen live it looks real nice. It has the basic design of a "real" motorcycle, with traditional lines like the old CBR. The CBR looks more nimble and sporty though, which is very impressing since the bike has it roots from the late 80:s. If the ZX14R meets the building quality settled by late ZX9R's and the ZX10R, I'm convinced that the quality is as good as for any new bike, despite it's a Kawasaki.

Yesterday, on the way home, I stopped at McDonalds and sat outside eating. I family came by and their little son about 5 years old screamed - I want a bike to dad! He was looking at the bike as long as he could, while they where dragging him away, still shouting I want a bike dad! They say that children and drunks tells the truth spontaneously. It sure was a sign that the CBR is still appreciated.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was just reading up on the ZX-14 last night. With a taller rider, the riding position looks goofy.
From the photos in the article it looks like the riders kneecaps are above the hips. Also the seat height to handle bars rise is only 4.3"

The 177HP claimed in the article is 41 more than my 136. I don't know where I would use it. I can get myself into enough trouble with what I have.

I think the ZX-14 is capable of the long hauls but I don't think my body (6'1") could take that leg position for too long.

Newer is better in most cases. As far as the 1kF goes, people, whether they know anything about bikes or not, always ask me what year mine is. When I tell them that it is a '94 they always say,"Wow, that's real nice". I have seen people walk by ZX-14's and not look at them. I guess there is nothing special that stands out.

1/4 mile in 9.76 sec. @ 144 MPH, now that's special, real special.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 PM

I am just the opposite! I thought that it looked real sharp in the magazines but was disappointed when I saw it at the dealership. Aside from it looks though, I think that it will be a good choice for me when it's time to change bikes. I like the Busa, especially the fact that it has great resale value, but I'm really leaning towards the ZX-14. It seems like a modern day version of the CBR1KF, and there aren't many bike out right now that can fill that niche.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm, I almost wouldn't buy a "first year" anything... Let the Orkin man sort'm !!!!!!

If anyone saw my topic... " six eyed turd" My still gigantuan Quandry is... If it's just a bored and stroked 12 engine, than why all the need for the extra 10" in the bike... proportion, is everything. George Forman grill styling, wood shop look'n pipes, Frosty the snowman lumpy grin, up front, and rear styling, that, IMO, doesn't fit, and is extreamly uninovative,or outstanding... Not the power expected by anyone (mag tests) under 6krpm, but fast??? wowie!!!!! see what the new 'busa does... I think there laugh'n, at suzuki headquarters... I think the tank needs a lunch box handle... WOOF !!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 AM

Could always just shoehorn the ZX-14 donk into the CBR

Old 07-29-2006, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Trips

Could always just shoehorn the ZX-14 donk into the CBR

Yeh, that would be an awsome sleeper

Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 PM

R1000:
Thanks for your reviews, they are always interesting.

For me it´s quite enough with the CBR. I have a wife and 2 children.
I would love drive on the rear wheel for a couple of meters sometimes though.
She went up a couple of centimeters by herself once but then I had almost empty tank and a bag rear. I was racing a Volvo V70R at a red light.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: rhino94

R1000:
Thanks for your reviews, they are always interesting.

For me it´s quite enough with the CBR. I have a wife and 2 children.
I would love drive on the rear wheel for a couple of meters sometimes though.
She went up a couple of centimeters by herself once but then I had almost empty tank and a bag rear. I was racing a Volvo V70R at a red light.
OK, I've ordered a new ZX14R today, as a commuter...

Edi: A joke of course, NO one buys this great machine as a commuter only, it's the ultimate bike for real pleasure. Hope to get some one day though. Could you walk away from the V70R? I guess they are real fast with about 300hp/400 Nm and beleive they have some type of 4WD also (Haldec?), but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: ZX14R tested