CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wot a Plonker!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wot a Plonker!

So managed to lay my CBR on it's side today[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Parked up outside my local bike shop , nice busy highstreet , backed it into a space and thought I put the side stand down . Obviously I hadn't done it properly and by the time I realised it was toooooo late ARRRRG GRUUUUNT[sm=oopssign.gif]

To make matters worse a nice young lady helped me get it back up[sm=smiley9.gif] . Embarassing or what!!

Luckily no real damage done , just a slight scratch on the exhaust cowling and engine casing but a huge dent in my ego. Luckily I don't take myself too seriously .[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Default RE: Wot a Plonker!

Did you get her number?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I feel for ya man. I did a similar thing just last weekend. I was at a gas station, filling it up. I thought the stand was down when I finished filling it. I leaned toward the pump to put the hose back, not giving it any thought that the bike was leaning toward the pump. Well, it didn't stop and ended up pinning me against the little concrete island that surrounds the pump with my leg under it. I couldn't get any leverage to get it off of me. My wife had to come over and help me get it back up (the bike that is). To make things worse, there was a couple of Harley rider on the other side of the pump. I'm sure they were getting a good laugh. I really felt stupid. Luckily no damage, just a mal adjusted mirror.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Nice to know i'm not the only one

Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TheX

Did you get her number?

Too shocked and busy huffin an puffin , pushin fifty (49 last B'day) so I was just glad to get the bike up

Besides the wife is almost like part of the family now , so it wouldn't be fair to upset her

Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM

"Besides the wife is almost like part of the family now , so it wouldn't be fair to upset her "

Yes, after 26 years I'm startin to warm up to mine! THAT WAS PERFECT HAWK!
[/align]

Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a similar thing myself no long ago.

Just backed up to the kerb & parked. Went to let the missus off so wasleaning herover abit as you do (the bike ya dirty buggers)when all of a sudden.. over we went. [:@]

Learnt my lesson that day... first thing i do when i'm stopping... get that bloodysidestand down. The point of no return aint that far on these bikes !.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM

Here's another one! Was leaving from a friend's house when I left the bike outside the door on it's side stand, went back to close it when I hear that terrible sound... turns out there was a small decline on the sidewalk[sm=headbang.gif]
Hit the clutch lever (wich broke in half) right on to the sidewalk, that took all the weight of the bike. Pushed the right turn signal inside the fairing, broke the tiny corner of the fairing right behind it, and scratched the engine cover.
Was really painful to see the old lady lying there helpless, but wasn't so hard to fix. Replaced clutch lever, glued turn signal support (from inside), fixed small corner of broken fairing, and sanded the engine cover and painted it satin black.

There's obviously something wrong about the design of the side stand. Too small for our big bikes?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Daniel_ARG

There's obviously something wrong about the design of the side stand. Too small for our big bikes?
Damn straight! The thing is a piece of crap, IMO. In June 1987 I was heading down east with the bike fully loaded. Stopped at a gas station, flipped the sidestand down, climbed off and watched the side stand fold back and the bike pitch over. For 21 years now I have NO confidence in my sidestand. Im always worried it will fold up again.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Few weeks back I was able to catch mine on the way down. I was lucky as I was wedged against my own gate post & had leverage. As far as the stand being too small I came out from work after a hot day only to find the stand had sunk into the bitumen far enough for the rear wheel to be well off the ground. I now put a crushed tin can under the stand or use the centre stand.

Search this Thread