CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Won't Start (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/wont-start-104996/)

rev1961 01-18-2010 08:53 PM

Won't Start

Hi all,
Haven't posted recently as my 1989 CBR1000F-K has been under the cover for the past 6 months or more. Reason; needed to replace the cam chain and carry out a long overdue service.
Here's my problem: I carried out the service, plugs, oil, filters, etc. Bike was running fine after that until we (incl mechanic friend) replaced the camchain. Checked the timing marks etc before the chain was replaced and ensured everything lined up as it should when the chain was replaced. Put everything back together and tried to start it up but nothing, not even a kick. The starter motor turned over but no ignition. The spark plugs have sparks. Even put fuel into the cylinders to try and jolt it into life.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance

oke 01-19-2010 02:19 AM

Did you remember to connect the fuel valve vacuum tube ? Or the vacuum valve might be stuck.

Greetings Oke

CBRclassic 01-19-2010 04:33 AM

Moved your thread back here into the main Hurricane board ... :icon_wink:

If you had her running ok before you touched the cams ...
and even with fuel put directly into the cylinders , she did not even kick once in any way ? ...My first thought is that you got the cam timing wrong in some way ? :icon_shrug:

bluebeard 01-19-2010 05:20 AM

Yep. It took me several attempts to get mine correct. Every time I tightened down the cams they would move. Ultimately I had to set them incorrectly so that the cams finished up in the correct place ( if that makes sense). Even if the valves are open there should at least be some sort of bang or pop. Are you sure that they are in correctly. I can't remember as it's been a while but can you put the sprockets on wrong??

rev1961 01-19-2010 03:13 PM

Thanks lads for suggestions.

I'll be looking at the bike later on. Will post the outcome.

Have been advised also that a worn camchain can affect the valve positioning and when a new chain is installed the tighter set up can adversely affect/damage the valves ; any opinions ?

CBRclassic 01-19-2010 03:59 PM

Have been advised also that a worn camchain can affect the valve positioning and when a new chain is installed the tighter set up can adversely affect/damage the valves ; any opinions ?
Gee , I hope the person that advised you is not the same guy that helped you swap out the chain ...?? lol
The first part of that is correct to very a small degree ... but the amount it allows the timing to swing is minor to say the least ...

The new chain if installed correctly? will actually bring the valve timing back into line ... and certainly will not adversdly effect nor damage the valves ...:icon_no:

davethepom 01-19-2010 05:43 PM

The only way you'll damage the valves changing the camchain is if you get the timing so wrong that they hit the pistons. You'd hear this, but if in doubt do a compression test to rule it out. I'd expect it to at least fire, or fart some, even if you're a bit out. I did a re-build on a Z650 once and got the inlet timing horribly wrong (rushed to ride that evening!). It still ran, but flames poured out from the exhaust from all the unburnt fuel.

I'd do the compression test to reasure yourself, then start from the beginning with the timing. Assume nothing and double check your timing marks.

CBRclassic 01-19-2010 06:34 PM

It still ran, but flames poured out from the exhaust from all the unburnt fuel.
Way to go Dave!! ... lol :icon_laugh:

rev1961 01-19-2010 07:11 PM

Success !!!!!
Went back to the bike, took off the cover, and there, first look, noticed that the lobes at the end of the cams were facing the same direction. Should be opposite! Didn't think of this last night as any bike we worked on before had staggered locating bolts on the sprockets so they could only be reassembled one way only. This baby wasn't like that. I suppose when your looking into an open engine at 3 in the morning, it's an easy mistake to make.
Anyway, must have happened when we loosened the intake cam to make it easier to feed the camchain through.
Sorted the problem reassembled in double quick time, and hey presto on the flick of the button, the engine whispered in a non chainy sort of way.

Once again lads, many thanks for all your input

davethepom 01-19-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic (Post 875364)
Way to go Dave!! ... lol :icon_laugh:

Glad you liked it steve :D. It sounded wild too! At a set of lights a bloke leaned out of a car and said "mate that sounds f'n great!" I'm not sure if I incinerated him when we took off though..the Harris pipe with comp. baffle tube did little to slow the flames :D:D...wouldn't start when I left the club though lol.

Glad you found the problem 1961 and didn't stuff your valves. 3.00am is not the best time to think straight :D.