CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

won't run w/o choke

Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't run w/o choke

Hello all, here's my problem:

1991 1000F (Red/Blk). Just pulled the bike out of storage. When I put it away, it wouldn't run without the choke on basically all the way. Even with the choke on, if I gave it any gas it would immediately die.

So I pulled the carbs last week before starting it up again and cleaned them out - I'm not a carb guru at all, but darn if they don't look REAL clean to me. Then again, I'm not a carb guru. ahem. I re-installed everything, started the bike, and it starts right up with full choke and runs fairly smoothly. But I still have the same problem. Start pushing the choke up, revs lower and quickly dies. Give it any gas, even with full choke, and it cuts right out.

I haven't done anything since, b/c I live about 30 minutes away from where I'm keeping the bike. I was thinking of changing the plugs and running some more carb cleaner through it, or seafoam, or something along those lines.Could this be a vacuum issue? Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Default RE: won't run w/o choke

How old is the fuel

Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Point, MarkR - I sometimes forget that you guys up north have to pack your babies away for winter. I once had similar issues with a GSX1100, and had the carbs off THREE times before I resolved the problem. The tiniest particle of dirt in the wrong place can be a real pain, but I suspect that you may have leakage around your rubber carb boots. Try tightening the clamps on both ends, and see if it helps.Maybe raise the idle a bit, to see if that helps...
Having to run the bike on a fully rich setting, ie choke on, indicates some sort of mixture problem....There was another post like this a couple of days ago........
Let us know what you find, please.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm going to suggest a simple check first - Is the idle adjuster up high enough for the bike to run off choke ?

I would try winding it up a turn and see if the bike then runs off choke. You can always lower it if the idle is too high.

Second suggestion is the float heights. if a carb is stored for a time with full float chambers - the springs/needle supports are permenantly under load and bend/weaken slightly.

The new float height would be wrong and allow too much fuel through.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Update:
The gas was old, so I removed and drained the tank. Ran some straight carb cleaner through the bike for a few minutes and played with the idle adjust. Result: seemed to run smoother, and I was able to turn the choke off - ALMOST. Idle dropped, which I was able to compensate for somewhat via idle-adjust, but the engine wouldn't be running as well and would want to die again unlessIgave it more choke. Huh.

Checked the plugs - they look good.

Basically ANY throttle and it immediately dies.

So,I'mleft thinking that Shadowis right about this being a mixture issue.

Another question: At the petcock there are three hose attachments. 1 is fuel, and one of the other two is vacuum. What should the third be attached to? Also, there are two hoses coming from the carbs that go around the tank (each from its own side), and seem to end at the back of the tank. What are these? Should they be blocked or attached to anything?

Anyways, what do you guys think? What should I try next...I have tomorrow off, so it looks like i'll be pulling it apart again.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to download the manual. May help you
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...Manual.pdf>
OR
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
Hope it works -

Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

ORIGINAL: amacadams

Another question: At the petcock there are three hose attachments. 1 is fuel, and one of the other two is vacuum. What should the third be attached to? Also, there are two hoses coming from the carbs that go around the tank (each from its own side), and seem to end at the back of the tank. What are these? Should they be blocked or attached to anything?
The 2 hoses that come from the carbs that wrap around to the rear of the tank are ambient pressure hoses and should not be connected to anything, nor should they be blocked with anything.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM

To find a possible air leak in carb boot or vacuum line, spray WD40 on boot or vacuum line while engine is running. If idle changes, then you probably have an air leak.
Is air filter clean?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Default RE: won't run w/o choke -UPDATE 5/26/08-

UPDATE:

Pulled carbs apart again. Cleaned out with carb cleaner and compressed air. There's nothing in there now - they are C L E A N. I know i haven't missed anything.

While they were apart I noticed some slight rubber "cracking" on the airbox where it connects to the carbs, so I fixed that with high heat silicone/gasket maker (in case of leaks).

Emptied and cleaned out fuel tank - filled it with a couple gallons of 92.

Air filter is clean (not new, but I do have one on order that should be coming end of the week).

Put in new plugs.

She started right up, as usual.
I played with the idle adjust, as someone suggested, and was able to ALMOST get the choke off and still have idle close to 1000 rpm.
The problemremains the same, however:I can ALMOST get the choke off after it warms up for a few minutes, but i can't give it any gas. RRRRR!!!! Virtually any throttle at all, and it almost seems like it's fighting itself - sort of like a timing issue. Makes it to ~1500 rpm, thenshe just dies.

I haven't played with the timing at all - she was running fine when initially stored.

Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpW0b7ospI

This is so frustrating! Any more ideas, guys??!

-Aaron

Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: won't run w/o choke -UPDATE 5/26/08-

Dumb question: When you cleaned the carbs, did you actually pull the jets and inspect them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: won't run w/o choke