CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Wiring Up Ignition Switch (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/wiring-up-ignition-switch-156271/)

jontish 07-08-2017 01:34 PM

Wiring Up Ignition Switch

Hi Forum

I have a 1987 1000F Super Sport owned for a year, it has occasionally cut out but not really bothered me as it always started up and kept going. Yesterday it cut and died, (fortunately at home rather than on the road), I thought it was the kill switch but on investigation today I found when I turned the bars to the left the ignition came back to life, when they were turned to the right it died. Previous owner had bodged the wiring link up between ignition switch and plug with crimp on connectors.

Now I know I can buy a new rig with keys on fleabay for £40 but that's no fun, I've got some quality connectors rather than the crimp jobs the previous guy used so I recon I can re-bodge but do it better so it lasts and I love a good wrap of insulating tape, it's most satisfying. Problem is I'm confused by the wiring, there are two brown wires from the switch and two at the plug and my question is does it matter which one is connected to which or should I have marked them before I ripped it all apart.... ? Please no replies telling me I should have marked them before I ripped them apart, yeah I know! :icon_cry:

Hawkwind2016 07-08-2017 01:49 PM

Hi Jontish, don't know the answer for sure, but the workshop manuals are
here :-

https://cbrforum.com/forum/workshop-manuals-85/

They will probably contain wiring diagrams.

Next time....................mark the wires first :D (sorry couldn't resist).

jontish 07-08-2017 02:11 PM

In my defence I'm colour blind and I thought at a glance each wire was a different colour so I just ripped it only to find two the same after ripping, I had to get my son to check the colours for me and when he said 'yeah Dad, those are BOTH brown' I was pretty gutted.

CaBaRet 07-08-2017 02:14 PM

Hi just check those wires again, one is brown and the other brown/white , it should just have a little trace of white in it:)

jontish 07-08-2017 03:02 PM

Thanks CaBaRet . Yeah, I think the previous dude has made a wiring change... checked the diagram and it is meant to have a different colour for each wire, the barrel looks like it's been opened up so I'm guessing it's been a deep bodge, def two brown wires, I have the Br/Wh already in situ. Just wondering if I guess it and fire it up I've got a 50/50, now I'm not a gambling man but.... what's my worst case scenario, a cooked fuse?

CaBaRet 07-10-2017 12:09 AM

Yep , but worth a fuse:)

jontish 07-10-2017 03:39 AM

I guessed it and it fired up no problem, everything running OK and no little whisps of smoke emitting from anywhere so I guess I cracked it. Took it for a run and all good. All done for a £2.50 strip of connectors from B&Q, some cable ties and a wrap of insulating tape. Not perfect but a damn sight more secure than the wobbly crimp on job it had before.

It's an old banger and that's the way I like it.

jarvid 07-11-2017 03:20 AM

Well done, electrical probs can have you pulling your hair out, now enjoy!

UNM 07-11-2017 07:18 AM

Glad it worked out for ya.

When disconnecting wires, colour blind or not, ALWAYS mark them first to make reconnection easier (yes, I have also messed up before).
I tend to use I, II, III, IV, V, etc., but then I am an old duffer.

bullroarer 07-14-2017 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid (Post 1306016)
Well done, electrical probs can have you pulling your hair out, now enjoy!

Without hijacking this thread too much, my "cutting out " issue also was a real pain.....needless to say I treated the old girl to a brand new alternator, brand new battery and a brand new reg/rec .......runs even better than before.