CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

wider tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wider tire

having trouble finding a wider wheelfor my 87 cane. i want to put a 180 on it and heard that a 190 will fit without changing the swingarm. were is the best place to find a wheel that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. does a wheel from a newer honda work mid 90s or 2000s. this small tire is killing me.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: wider tire

The subject has been covered many times before. I would suggest searching the forum. I don't really have any advice what to search for as the swingarm has been covered under the same subject. Some members have installed a VFR swingarm while others say that a 180 is max.

For best handling/feel you don't really to go bigger than a 180 anyway.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM

sorry to affend you. i thought that these forums were ment to help spread the knowledge of our bikes that no one seems to know anything about were i live. i also wasnt aware that archive file had new up to date info in them. some ot the stuff that i have read in the archives i have found to be incorrect or would have to buy something from sweden, not really around the corner from me. so if my question bothers you, just skip it and go to anothere.

as for riding a cane with a wider tire, no i havent but ive been on a couple newer bikes with wide tires and enjoyed the rider the tire provided.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM

I plan to do it soon , but I won't go over a 170.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM

There are no archives, just past posts. Since these bikes are 30 years old, there really isn't any "new" information about them that hasn't already been discussed here.
There is no need to go to Sweden to find parts. Just do a search in this forum on "rear wheel" or "wide rear tire" and you will find the answers that you seek. You can't expect the people that have been here for years to rehash the same stuff just because a noob comes on board.

So what have you found to be incorrect? Links please.

Riding different bikes with wider tires isn't a way to make a comparison. All bikes are different, and because a wide tire on a gixxer or a CBR rr works okay, it doesn't mean you'll have the same results on the 1000F.
I went with a 180/55 in the rear, and it's the widest that I would ever consider. The stock for mine was 170. A 190 would make it handle like a pig. Might as well ride a cruiser.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: kdawg6262

sorry to affend you. i thought that these forums were ment to help spread the knowledge of our bikes that no one seems to know anything about were i live. i also wasnt aware that archive file had new up to date info in them. some ot the stuff that i have read in the archives i have found to be incorrect or would have to buy something from sweden, not really around the corner from me. so if my question bothers you, just skip it and go to anothere.
as for riding a cane with a wider tire, no i havent but ive been on a couple newer bikes with wide tires and enjoyed the rider the tire provided.

/quote]
Wind in your neck, friend, no need to get shirty.
The question has been answered many times as TBT says - 180 is the max you should go, and the later CBR1000F wheel will fit, but use spacer from the later bike with it. Look up I think, BayAreaRider's posts on this issue.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 AM

I have a 180 on mine but found the handling more lighter with a 170, no way would I'd put a 190 on it, can only imagine the handling would be heavy as hell and it would start to loose shape over time.

Quick Reply: wider tire