CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why does my bike start so hard?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why does my bike start so hard?!

I'll try to keep this short. So last fall, we had a very windy night and somehow my 1990 Hurricane tipped over from it (I found it laying down in the morning). It was right before I was going to store it for the winter, so I just filled it up with gas, put some Stabil in it and then rode it to a garage where it stayed all winter. I also took the battery out and kept it in my house.
This year when I went to get it, I put the battery back in. It was basically dead, which I wasn't too sure why because it was stored indoors, but jumper cables of course brought the bike to life. I then rode it a few miles to my house, and shut it off. I thought the battery would have charged some, but it was basically dead! I noticed the fluid was low, probably from when it tipped over. The battery was pretty old from what I know, so I just decided to buy a new one.
Since that first time riding, even with jumper cables and the starter cranking fast, the bike takes FOREVER to start. For awhile it wouldn't start at all, but realized the gas wasn't the best. We siphoned as much as we could out, and then put a fresh tank in. At first it doesn't do much of anything, then you slowly begin hearing a few bubbles from the exhaust. It gets better and better very slowly until it somewhat begins to run, however the starter needs to be engaged or it won't stay running. Eventually it will stay running, and then begins to run perfectly normal. This is after like MINUTES of cranking on the starter, which I feel pretty bad about. Once it gets warm, I can shut it off and it will start right back up, even if it's been sitting for an hour or two after a decent ride.

What I don't get is, why does it only start so hard when the engine is cold?! I put some Seafoam in, with the same results. Does it have something to do with it tipping over (btw, it ran perfect before I stored it for the winter)? The tank of fresh gas is almost empty now and I was hoping it would be getting better, but it hasn't.
Sorry this is so long! I wanted to make sure It had details. haha

Zach

Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Zach ,
if it is a gas problem you could try putting in some carb cleaner with your next tank of fuel.

Does the engine spin properly when you crank it with the starter motor , or does it wheeze like this (check out the video link)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Hey, do you think carb cleaner would do a lot different than Seafoam? Because I did put some of that in. Also, my bike doesn't sound like that at all! It sounds exactly the way I expect it too, it just isn't starting...for a very long time at least. If it was something with the carbs or gas, is there a reason that it starts perfectly once the engine is warm?
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with CBRClassic on this one. These bikes like a lot of power, and with already weak charging/spark systems, they tend to be hard to start without a good battery.
Batteries can do weird things to bikes (and cars).

When my battery died in the CBR last year, it was hard as hell to get going. It would crank and crank. I also rode like 50miles once, only to find a copletely dead battery on arrival... to the point where the bike was stumbling and stuttering.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Well I don't think its the battery doing that since it is a new battery but thanks for the suggestion. CBRriderNevada that sounds like a good idea! I will try that as soon as I get the chance...it's been super cold and I have all my finals next week! haha
thanks again