CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked a bike for 3 years

A lot was determened by the looks.

It narrowed down to Suzuki or Honda.

Somehow I had at first an impression from lots of forums that Honda is more reliable and more foolproof. Some people are in an opinion that you need to repair honda less than suzuki.

Next down narrower was for me that I needed a bike for dayly usage and for long distance run.

And after I had bought my gear and gathered up some dope to start looking whats on the market then my current cane was only one what I actually liked and saw myself riding with in all circumstances.

Thats how we ended up

Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 AM

Well, this is infact my first bike and I just love this model. The looks, the sound
from the engine and everything! Think Honda was way ahead of competitors with this model in the early nineties? Bought it last fall and managed to
ride it about two times before winter.. Now this spring when I started it
up after 4 months of downtime gasoline kept pouring out of the overflow tube. So now I've got some maintenance to do on my beauty

Before carb cleaning, possible needle/s changing and after
that, carb sync I think I maybe ought to check the valve clearances too.

Hopefully I will get it running again and at the same time pass my driving
test this summer.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Nice to see you on the board Hojen; but just take a little bit of care out there.

I kind of get a little bit uncomfortable with "never owned a bike before" and "Honda 1000" in the same post.

These old girls don't bite you like some bikes will if you put a foot wrong; but they are also deceptively fast. Watch the speed into corners, it's very easy to end up traveling waaaaay faster than you meant to.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Thanks , I'm with you there. You sure have to respect the potential of this bike, especially when you're a newbie.
Here in Sweden accidents involving motorcyclists has increased the last couple of years so the authorities decided
to make the biker education even more extensive. (and expensive)

Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM

You are right Kiwi, today i went for a ride and i thouht i was doing the speed limit which is 90Km/h on the road i was traveling, but looking at the dial i was at 130 and the old girl didn,t feel like it, they deceptively fast, especially on back roads you have to be carefull the other day I saw a moose on the road, i would not want to have a close encounter with one of these...at high speed

Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Why??

Simple really.... After a few months of my neighbour nagging me to buy his project (and me declining) he finally offered something I wanted - a whipper snipper (brush cutter).

He was moving house with now room for the old girl, and my wife was pregnant so I had other things on my mind.

I came home from work one day to find a $500 garden tool in a trailer, along with a two wheeled project.

After nearly 2 years of procrastination I am starting to get her back to her former glory.... I rode bike about 10yrs ago, until a very nasty *off* occurred. I have to say, the day I test rode Betty (retro Betty) I was as nervous as hell. But she is such a docile beast capable of doing a lot while still in realitive comfort.

She's uglier than a bucket of small crabs, but I fell in love with her manners after the first day of ride ring her. Now to give her a make over and sort out some electrical gremlins!!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Default cleaning electrics

Rolli;
Polish every electrical connection and clean and tighten the coil wires....and put the best battery you can find in. I got a Deka, about $70, and it made starting a snap...

my .02
buster

Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Hi buster,

I keep popping the indicator/break fuse. Spent today running over the entire loom and found nothing obvious other than heat damage on the main fuse. I cleaned all the terminals like you suggested and found one of the brake light was blown, perhaps the filament caused a intermitent short on the remaining filament..

I'll pick up a replacement tomorrow and see what happens after today's efforts

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Banned

Go for a Motobatt Rolli. I have one in my 89 and it starts within a second or two of hitting that starter. Best battery I've ever had and I've had em all over the years. I got mine for $105 delivered to my door.

Attached Thumbnails Why do you ride a Hurricane?-motobatt_battery.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Bordo - the battery is new and not the issue... But cheers, I'll look into these when this one dies.

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?