Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You an me both Karlo, I nearly got my walking papers too

Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stumbled into mine on accident, and bought it for $500 not running. Greatest accident to ever happen to me. I bought my gal from another Firefighter who's son beat the **** out of her and abused her very badly for a very long time. So bad, the guy I bought it from offered to buy it back if she was too far gone. She was literally a week away from the salvage yard.

I had to drop about $1000 into her and MANY more hours of blood, sweat, alcohol, and complete meltdown temper tantrums from frustration. Then I was defeated. Now, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Shadow said it best....

"she sits quietly, dignified in silence, waiting…
a picture in her colours, pretty as whatever you can imagine…
if we could know the stories only she could tell
the days of youth and speed, long runs flying through the morning cold, or into the lazy heat of sunset, adventures lost now to all save those who knew and loved her through the years."

She has helped me get back to a place in my life or even soul that undoubtly I lost. I just went out and looked at her. I know its funny and call me a complete freak, but I almost feel like I owe her a thankyou that I could never adequately express. "Dignified" Couldn't have said it better. There is also an auora which glows around her that only folks like us see. I have had several other "modern" riders green with envy when they see her and offer straight trades on dam near new bikes for her. I just smile and thank them for the compliment and know I did the right thing by saving my old girls life.

She is the absolute truth in the saying "things get better with age".

I'm gonna take a ride...

Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Default Awesome reply

Originally Posted by Shadow
The old lady

she sits quietly, dignified in silence, waiting…
a picture in her colours, pretty as whatever you can imagine…
if we could know the stories only she could tell
the days of youth and speed, long runs flying through the morning cold, or into the lazy heat of sunset, adventures lost now to all save those who knew and loved her through the years.
She is older now, yet still has the power to draw young men which women would pay a king’s ransom to possess…..!
She waits for you. Or me, to whisper to her gently, bring her to life in an instant, and suddenly in her awakening all is not as it was…..
There is a menace in her stance which warns as many women do,
“mistreat or abuse me at your peril ! “ and she’s the one who can make it all right or wrong in a heartbeat, and you will pay dearly for any disrespect.
She growls a gentle warning like a predator to her cubs, but will bark and run at the least encouragement, to places where lines are blurred and the world becomes a tunnel, battered by sound. Where an insect has the power of a bullet,
and yet within all the noise there is a silence so profound that only those who have been there can describe it.
We return her to her home, to be pampered as any woman should be, and cared for as she cools with musical tinkling sounds.
And once again, patiently, she waits……
Now that is what I'm talking about. After reading this I didn't know if I should go jump on the CBR or make mad love to my wife. Screw it, I'm going to do both.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Default Thanks for the wake-up call

She has helped me get back to a place in my life or even soul that undoubtly I lost.
She is the absolute truth in the saying "things get better with age".

I'm gonna take a ride...[/quote]

As I read these replies, it amazes me how life in general is so much alike for all of us. Be it a car, house, boat or motorcycle. Different strokes for different folks...
Micheal made me stop and relate to how motorcycles have shaped who I am today. I started riding on the street in 1981 and have owned some awesome machines that sitting here and looking back...boy, I have been blessed. I got away from bikes for about four years and missed it badly. I owned 5 bikes and sold them to buy a powerboat. One year later, I knew I had messed up.
When I bought my CB919 to help fight the high gas prices and rode it home, my 'spark' was returned. My friends, my wife, neighbors and co-workers pointed out that whatever it is I get from bikes, it agrees with me. Now I can't wait to get up in the mornings to ride to work.
I'm going to take Micheals advice and ride 200 miles tomorrow morning to a nice resturant in the mountains. My wife said she is ready and since I washed and waxed the CBR today, I know she is ready. Later, JD

Last edited by Honda Nut; 06-27-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some great stories, people.
Mine is similar.
I've always loved my hondas (including my civic and accord). I had a mini trail as a first bike, followed by an XR80 that I brought back to life as a kid. I used to ride the XR down to a bike shop a few miles from my house in the summertime, so I could hang out with the "big kids" and buy parts. One day, one of the owners rode in on a brand new 'Cane.
Everybody gathered around that bike like it was the Ark of the Covenant. It was the most badass bike I had ever seen.
I followed the guy down the lane to the main road, thinking I would follow him for a bit on my XR and take it all in. Unfortunately, as soon as he hit the pavement, he was long gone..
I had to have one.

I put over 260miles on her today. Went to the "Thunder in the Valley" Bike Rally in Johnstown. Good times. I love this bike more now than I did when I was infatuated with it as a 10yr old kid.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 AM
November 2009 ROTM

20 years ago i bought the CBR600 F Supersport.What an awesome piece of machinery,back then i thought the 1000F would be my next purchase.Wrong i chose the VFR750F,a dream motorcycle.
Drifted away from Bikes for a long time.
About 5 years ago i found my Supersport 1000F,that had been cleaned by a Toothbrush religiously.
The day i rode it home,i let out a sigh of relief,knowing i had the perfect all rounder under me.Hell i may have stood on the tank like willem dafoe getting shot in Platoon when he runs toward the chopper.eyes closed,arms raised in the air, who knows?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Default Good advice

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
How true is that!! ... absolutely

A bit of friendly advice though , if yu misses is new to this stuff , take it nice and slow !! .... My Kerri had never ridden on a road bike when I met her and now , sure I cop quite afew thumps in the ribs , but she loves it!! ...

If I get carried away , she lets me know real quick that my enthusiasum is a little more advanced than hers ...
Yes sir. My wife is the same way. A tap on my helmet or hip lets me know I have exceeded "her" speed limit. But I give her alot of props because she is use to my style of riding and doesn't complain too often. I'm sitting here ready to go and she hasn't even finished drying her hair. Later, JD

Last edited by Honda Nut; 06-28-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM

went to a dealer he had a yamaha fzr n the cbr..convinced me to buy the cbr as it was in better mechanical shape.wanted the yamaha coz of twin lights but ended up with the1990 cbrf..never looked back ever since..my first cbr and surely not the last...

for the arm of flesh will surely fail you.......

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?