CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Love cold weather riding...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love cold weather riding...

Just got back from a Christmas party at a coworker's place; wife was ill so I went solo, and rode the CBR of course. Location was about 40 min away, and through back roads south of Jacksonville (taking me through Green Cove Springs - look that little town up.) Even brought a dutch apple pie with me, wrapped up under a bungee net. And it survived the trip there!

Afterwards I donned the snow pants as it was a little chilly and headed home the long way. I went down a curvy road that I had not ridden for 25 years!! First and only time riding it was on my CB900 Custom when I was in the Navy, on a nice December day back in '94. I had purchased a map (no GPS back then) and looked for curvy roads around Jacksonville to go ride, and this one the Fruit Cove area was nice. Still is, especially at night with all the Christmas lights on display. I had tried to find it before but unsuccessfully; this time it was easy with my GPS and was a nice trip back to those memories.

I eventually made it home, passed some slow moving cages on the way, and enjoyed the top gear acceleration that this bike has. Although I seem to long for something a little newer (1100xx Blackbird? K1300S Beemer?) I get that big grin back when I crack the throttle open and let the rev's climb (along with the speedo) and I'm reminded that this still is a respectable machine (albiet a heavy one). Then I'm fine again.

Re: the cold; it makes the engine snappy; seems to react immediately when opening it up. Feels strong everywhere. And the absence of insects is wonderful - no big moths that become unavoidable at 60+, and no grouping of mosquito carcasses to clean off the helmet when I pull in for the night. Perfect. Did I mention that the engine is peppier? Loves to rev.

Goodnight for now...

Raz