CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Where is my oil gone ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my oil gone ??

Hello,

I have drived my new -90 6000 km and because it's new for me I've been looking everything what doesn't work.

For shorter trips (<300 km) and slow driving it burns some oil but not much. But now we drived 2300 km in two days (average speed little over 100 km /h, usually 120 to 140 km/h in highways) it took about 1 l oil. There is now smoke gold or warm. With very fast acceleration it gives black ( my friend said it was not blue) smoke. There is now drops under the bike and the air filter is clear. I have noticed that the temperature doesn't go up more than minimum line. Could this make any difference? Oil is 20 -50.

OR is the only way to start take the engine open and check rings etc. Maybe I try to survive this summer and think that in winter. Now it is time for driving.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Default RE: Where is my oil gone ??

Have you change the oil

Old 06-11-2006, 03:40 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 liter of oil / 2300 km is about 1 quart / 1000 miles. That's borderline acceptable. Oil gets into the cylinder by two main routes: past the rings, or through the valve guides. A rich fuel / airl mixture can wash the cylinder walls down, cause premature ring & cylinder wear and increase oil burning. Black smoke from the exhaust indicates a rich condition. An engine that doesn't warm up completely can run rich. Let's see, if that were my bike I would:

1. Replace the thermostat. The temp guage should be moving at least into the normal range of your guage.

2. a. Check the air filter. A clogged filter can cause a rich condition. Filter bad, replace.
b. Make sure the choke cable is working properly and is opening the choke completely.
c. Ride far enough to warm the bike up thoroughly and see if the black smoke goes away. It helps to have someone ride
behind you to watch your exhaust.

3. Pull the plugs and see if they are gas fouled or oil fouled. I might go so far as to do a chop test: ride at highway speeds for ten minutes or so, shut the engine off with the 'run' switch, coast to a stop, pull the plugs and check them. Haynes and Chilton manuals generally have a good set of color pictures showing various plug conditions.

4. If I still found a rich condition I'd:

a. Check the carbs for damaged float valves or incorrect float height. As long as they were that far apart I'd clean them.
Note: flooding carbs can be caused by crud from the tank preventing float valves from closing. An inline fuel filter might
be in order.

4. If the plugs were oil fouled I'd:
a. Run a compression check, first dry, then with a squirt of oil in the cylinder. A low reading dry followed by a higher reading
wet indicates bad rings. If the reading doesn't change between wet and dry, valves are the most likey cause of low
compression.
b. Do a leakdown test. That lets you know if the rings, intake valves or exhaust vales are leaking.
c. Wonder if oil was leaking by the valve guide seals. If you get a puff of oil smoke on start up with a warm engine that has
been sitting a while the valve guide seals are leaking.

You also mentioned that there are drips of oil under the bike. I'd remove the fairings and look things over quite carefully to see if the oil plug, oil filter or any gaskets are leaking.

With oil burning at the rate you report I'd be more worried about the rich fuel / air mixture than burning oil at the moment as that has the potential to ruin the rings & cylinders. Keep a close watch on the oil level. And enjoy the summer's riding. Then decide if you want to do a rebuild next winter.

That's what I'd do. You might want to talk to a mechanic at your local Honda dealership before doing any of the above.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:13 AM

Thanks for your answer. It gives me hope that I don't need to take the motor in parts right away. I'll start with plugs, thermostat, compression check and leakdown test. The air filter is new and clean and there was a writing error:there is no drops oil under the bike.

Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 AM

in the end,

everything is OK!

There must have been some uncleanness somewhere because when I changed the oil twice between 1000 km and put there 10-40W halfsynthetic oil also the smoke and oil consumption ended. I have also used half 98 and half 95 petrol and seems to burn clean

PS. The temperature problem solved in a very hot day in the city. Temperature went to hot and quikly and blowed out. And the reason was the loosen cooling fan wire connector