CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Where to mount additional lighting...mirror mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yer , om not a big fan of hanging extra lights on bikes unless its a humongous tourer ..lol

May I ask if this is for safety or just for looks mate .?

If its just for looks well , yer , go for it ....but if you are looking to see better , why not just whack a HID in her ...much more light and no fuss ...except for getting the globe change over of course , which can be a bugger if you have never done it before ..

It's 100% for more light...I couldn't possibly care less how it looks. I know I'm treading on thin ice, seeing as where I'm posting this, but...er...the CBR1000 isn't exactly the Catherine Zeta Jones of motorcycles to begin with Besides, I'm pretty sure hanging lights off the mirrors wouldn't really be considered a cosmetic improvement by many people. I own the bike for function (great bike mostly, wanted a S/T bike to do lots of miles on), and because I bought it for cheap (years of roadracing has emptied the coffers).

re: HID: I want more light in a wider pattern...I have enough light in front of the bike with the 50/65 Silverstar Ultra's that are in there now. Besides, I can't ****ing stand being blinded by all the toolboxes who put HID's in lights that aren't designed for them, so I'm not about to join that fraternity (I know that it's possible to do it properly...I'm just saying that not everyone does that).

Anyway, ya, I don't care what it looks like. I just want daylight When I said that I liked the one above, I meant that it looks perfect re: the type of thing I want to accomplish.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by malbojah
I've taken some 5150 aluminum and cut and bended it so I could mount a pair of Hella FF50's. I ran the wiring so it came out of the instrument cluster cover right by the mirror mount. I've also tried mounting to the front fender bolts and it hasn't worked out so good (lights keep spinning the mounts).
Thanks for that. Ya, that's pretty much what I'm gonna end up doing, as it doesnt' seem that anyone has a pre-made solution available.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the CBR1000 isn't exactly the Catherine Zeta Jones of motorcycles to begin with
No..not exactly. I was thinking more like Gisele Bundchen.
(I can't believe you'd say something like that..)

Here's my idea for your extra lighting needs..

+

+

Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM

What my current setup looks like ( heavy duty L-brackets from Lowes cut and drilled):

Second picture is what my old setup looks liked with the alu bent and mounted of the mirrors (hard to see, sorry)

Attached Thumbnails Where to mount additional lighting...mirror mount?-0720091349-01.jpg   Where to mount additional lighting...mirror mount?-dscf1204.jpg  

Last edited by malbojah; 07-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That doesn't look bad at all, malbojah...

Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
That doesn't look bad at all, malbojah...

The only problem with the fender mounts is that the light lights weigh so much and with only one bolt holding them in place, have a tendency to spin backwards (lights end up pointing down). With the mirror mounts I had,they stayed in place, but looked butt ugly and sometimes bounce to much because they were so far out.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Ow well, as they say .......it takes all types I spose Dylan... and there is no accounting for some peoples taste ..

Don't get me wrong...I've loved these bikes since the day the 2nd gen. 1000 was announced, I've always wanted one, and I'm tickled to have one. It's just that the Tupperware® blob w. wheels isn't my cup o' tea in the styling dept. is all. I don't think my bike is ugly though...how about this. It IS the Catherine Zeta Jones of motorcycles, but sadly she's wearing a mumu

Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2ND setup looks good there Malbojah outside the Wigwam Western Summit in
North Adams

Quick Reply: Where to mount additional lighting...mirror mount?