CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

When it rains... it pours...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual says to manipulate the enrichening lever to maintain an idle of 2000 rpm until the bike will idle without it.
I start mine with full enrichment then I go back I'm the house to gear up. After a few minutes I can hear it "ramp up". I then go out and turn it off and drive away happy as a clam riding this incredibly awesome machine!!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ranchome
The owners manual says to manipulate the enrichening lever to maintain an idle of 2000 rpm until the bike will idle without it.
I start mine with full enrichment then I go back I'm the house to gear up. After a few minutes I can hear it "ramp up". I then go out and turn it off and drive away happy as a clam riding this incredibly awesome machine!!
Thats how mine was before this issue happened. I could put full choke, start the bike and then after a few minutes she'd ramp to 3k and I could cut it off and she'd be running perfectly. Now I put full choke and after about 30 seconds it ramps up with 4-5k. So i have to drop it down to about half choke, wait 30 seconds and itll hit 4-5k again then try to get it to hold around 1/4 choke. Usually by then its still not warm and doesnt want to idle right. After it gets warm it seems to idle fine, if I roll back on the throttle then snap it closed itll hang at the rpms for a few seconds then slowly drop instead of immediately drop like it used to, makes it a pain when I blip the throttle and try engine brake. Trying to slow ride in traffic is tiring now aswell. If the bike starts getting hot the idle will want to rise to 2.5-3k. Waiting on the diaphragm to arrive so I can swap it out and hope that cures everything. Situation is aggravating as the CBR is my daily ride.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Sure sounds like a sticky slide to me. But I'm no expert

Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM

The slides all fall evenly and seems to be smoothly. Well after I just replaced the bad one anyways. When it get it running and roll on the throttle they all lift. What's odd to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, when I apply the choke... they're not lifting at all? I was under the impression that when the choke was applied it opened a passage to the top of the diagphrams and caused them to lift, richen the mix... If it is supposed to do that then there's another issue and would explain my choke rpm ramp. Any advice would be appreciated, this is very frustrating.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think everything is working the way it should.

First off, its really not a choke. A choke is a butterfly above the carb body butterfly that closes, like putting your hand over the intake, causing a low pressure that draws raw fuel directly into the carb.

An enrichner is a plunger that when opened allows raw fuel to be sucked directly into the carb body because its on the engine side of the carb butterfly where a low pressure is always present.

You have an enrichner.

They do ramp up suddenly when the engine come into a temp when the choke/enrichner can be backed off.

On very cold days, If I forget something, I start my bike and head into the house. Suddenly, it sounds like someone is revving my bike. It takes off and I have to run out and turn the 'choke' off and go back to the house.

Its normal.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 12-15-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: oh what the hell, I had to edit again, Oh crap!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with TBT - about enrichment more of a bypass fuel dump than a conventional
choke

Me : i'd be starting over with the carbs (since everything seems to be 100% parts wise !)

Take 'em off bench sync them as in back off the idle **** on the carb all the way

use carb screws to get all carb butterflies sitting at the same "levels" / "gaps"
when you push the throttle linkage thay should all open at exactly the same
rate and forcefully snap back shut identically when you let go.

pull out all your pilot adjust screws on the fronts of each carb , clean them and
gently screw back in to a gentle stop , then back them out 2 1/2 times 360 drgrees
( 2 and a half turns) put the carbs on the bike - run up to hot hold the rev's manually
with the throttle , then set idle with the idle **** on left side of carb

Think you may have an idle **** adjustment v's pilot screw adjustment fight going on
It's a balancing act the pilot adjustment must be spot on for the idle spot to set right
or you get inconsistent idling like you are getting.

And the intake rubbers have to be leak free between the head and the carbs as
that will contribute to it also if you have to - get new clamps - sometimes the stock
ones if old are "iffy" !

I have had this happen and just kept tweaking it until it was all good

Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM

I'm aware its an enrichment circuit, just used to calling it a choke. I also know its supposed to ramp up when it comes to temp, but I promise you, ramping up to 5k rpm after 5 seconds in 20f temps is not normal. I used to be able to start the bike with it full open and leave it running for 1-2 minutes and then it would ramp up to 3k and I knew it was good to go. Its hanging in the rpms when I blip the throttle, never did that before. Its a sign of being lean but the jets are clean and since I reseated the intake boots/manifolds I can't get it to ramp with carb cleaner sprayed onto them. I think ill pull the petcock tonight and see if its clogged. Maybe my lean issues are from not enough fuel getting to the bowls. Might even be the vacuum line for the petcock is leaking, haven't tested it yet. Id hate to have to pull the carbs for the 5th time but I guess I've got no choice. Its weird how it acts, hard starts but once its running it idle fines, try to give it a load and she will try to die. So the enrichener doesn't touch the slide at all just opens another passage to the bowl. I bet its gummed up.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM

I'd like to fallow up with, I've owned this bike since 2007, I've riden it everyday. I had the carbs redone in 2010 because a float needle broke.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptMind
I also know its supposed to ramp up when it comes to temp, but I promise you, ramping up to 5k rpm after 5 seconds in 20f temps is not normal.
Ok great, with the last couple of post sounding more likely they are out of sync.

If out of sync, bike would start off enrichners and run away once carbs get vacuum.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Its been one of those kick myself in the *** moments. Bought some vacuum gauges, finally got them yesterday and went to put them on last night to discover... the cap for the #3 vacuum tap.. is missing. I dont know if this is what caused the Thanksgiving back fire or the backfire is what blew it off... but now that ive got it back being sealed the bike is running just fine. They were sync'd just fine aswell. Now I have to relearn how to get hard into the corners again.. been riding my wifes SV650 this whole time... that bike is way to small. lol Thanks to everyone for the help!

Quick Reply: When it rains... it pours...