CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

wheelie......THATS RIGHT....i said it

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelie......THATS RIGHT....i said it

ok, so i know that this bike is heavy and its by all means no wheelie machine. but i have managed to get it up. if i do it in first, i just let off the throttle to decompress the forks and then punch it. she comes up about 2 1/2 to 3ft, but its violent. my friends tell me to just pop the clutch in 2nd and it will come up with more ease and wont be so touchy, but they all drive lighter bikes. i have tried this and i just cant bring myself to pop the clutch TOO HARD due to i like my tranny and i dont like not having all of my fingers on my left bar when im throttle'n my bike. i was wonderin if anyone has tried any of these or other techniques that they could point out. any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Default RE: wheelie......THATS RIGHT....i said it

Dude, dude, dude.....
Give it up. This bike is not a wheelie machine. Yes it's possible, but why? What is the point? If you want to stunt go get a rat bike that you won't be pissed about crashing, or blowing out the fork seals every other day on. Yeah every time you come back down, you put far more pressure on the fork seals then what they were designed for. 530 Lb bikes need to keep both wheels on the ground....
I have an idea... ask your buddies if you can practice on their bikes 8-)

Okay... I'm getting off my soap box....

Old 07-08-2006, 01:03 AM
dad

... pounds out the steering head bearings, too. Not good for any bike, but especially bad at these thing's weight.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:57 PM

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have been able to wheelie my 94. I went -1 in front and +3 in rear. In second gear, about 35mph, accelerate, let in the clutch to about 6500rpm or a little more, using 1-2 fingers, let the clutch out rapidly, and she'll come right up in a finessed manner. Ride it out and continue acceleration so it will set the front end down softly. I have experimented with this by putting a zip tie on the fork to see what the affect is. I have never compressed the fork far enough. The trick is to accelerate until the wheel is all the way back down. Even with the new gearing, forget trying to get it up in third, unless you are already up there in second and shift. I tried all of these tricks, bouncing the suspension, standing up with left foot on rear set. Some bumps in roads compress the fork farther than what you would do if you set the front end down softly.

Captain Obvious and Dad are correct. This is not the bike for it, as it will put stick points in the stem bearings and it is very heavy. Also, with having a hydraulic clutch, that doesn't help either. I don't see the asthetic harm but do understand the physical harm.

I've come to realize that it wouldn't be worth it, and I will just smoke most of the stunters in the corners even though there bikes are brand new. Even if you go with even shorter gearing in the rear, you are going to sacrifice so much in the power band and high way speeds, it wouldn't be worth it.

Take captain's advice, find a different bike to do this with. Like an old f2.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:23 PM

thank you illushun for the hints. as for the other 2 comments. ummmm.....i guess thanx for ur oppinions, but i asked for advice, not someone to tell me how to not do it. i know the bike is heavy, as expressed earlier. i was just curious as to if there was an "easier" way to bring her up. illushun......i have -1 front +2 rear so i will try ur advice. thanx again

Old 07-08-2006, 05:13 PM

Congrats ! I'll try the same as soon as possible, no need to do it every time on a bike like this, but there is a (unwritten) law that it must be done at least once on any bike Maybe I'll have to use the clutch, I have a stock front sprocket and only one tooth up rear.

On the GSX R this is by far easier, the front leaves ground even in third at corner exists...

Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 PM

No probs whatsoever to get the front off ground och this bike even for an amateur like me. Go by first gear, feel where the engine begins to pull maximum, go off the throttle and directly back to full power. The front lifted at least 2 feet before a gear change was needed, which i didn't do. I did the test at the end of a tour today in good pace so the tyres where hot, 40 to 50 deg C, and I have almost new tyres with premium grip, Michelin Powers 180/55/17 rear inflated to about 40 PSI.