CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel cleaning

Quite a few of us have no main stand, due to fitting aftermarket pipes etc.
I find it a real pain cleaning my wheels.
Here's a little invention that would be relatively easy to make and will solve the problem.
I'll make one and post pics when it's done - anyone interested ?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheel cleaning

Cool idea, but that would just be one more thing to have to store in my already cramped garage![:@]

Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 AM

Who cleans their wheels?...........But seriously, Shadow, don't you think that thing would be difficult to use with the bike on it's sidestand? Plus, with all the wrenching that you seem to do on your bike, don't you think it's time you sprang for a set of front and rear stands for your bike? I've got a set of Handy stands that sell new for $100 U.S. They work fine. How do you adjust your chain without a rear/center stand?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 AM

I clean my wheels. Unlike yours, Pacojoseph, they're white.......bike looks sh1tty with dirty wheels.
I have a set of paddock stands, front and rear, but I sometimes want to clean it when there's no-one to assist me with the stands.......Anyone who can put a bike up on paddock stands without assistance, SHOW ME HOW
I developed a similar wheel spinner, but not wide enough, and there was no problem with the sidestand.
CBRClassic - I'll have a stab at it and post up if it works !

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 AM

I put my bike on the stands without help all the time. It's not hard. The only trick , for the rear stand, with the bike on it's side stand, is to adjust the rear stand so the pads are tight on the swingarm. Then, with my left hand on the left clip-on and my right hand on the rear grab bar, I straighten the bike up and then step on the back of the rear stand with my right foot and up she goes. It works with my stand, anyway.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 AM

May work with yours -don't know if I'd be prepared to let my bike fall over if it went wrong.
Sounds fine in theory, but I'll stick to doing it with two people for now.....
my stands don't have any U-shaped units on them to 'cup' the swingarm - I'd have a go your way if they did. I have been considering a mod .......

Oh ,and I've done 940 Kilometers this week from Monday, and will do another 250 before the week's out, Steve ,so yer, I ride it a bit, too.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 AM

I had some leave due, so Tueday went north of Durban 21/2 hours by bike, to help a friend with some employment contracts and other stuff. On the way, passed the Hluhluwe game reserve (pronounced shlooshloowee)and took these pics, 11/2 K's outside of town. I'm told the Black Rhino and elephant as well as all sorts of antelope are plentiful - these were right at the road.
Sunday rides head west as far as Nottingham Road and South to Port Shepstone.I live outside Pinetown.
All of these you will find on Google earth - Idodirt did and gave me the national road numbers when I went south to Matatiele.....!!

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaning