CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What you think

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What you think

Remember the fable about the Gorilla and the greasy pig......you've got to catch me to eat me.......
And remembering Hawaii 5-0 really shows your age, Phil........
I went out this morning, 100 mile round trip ride to Scottburgh, a small holiday town by the sea.
Plenty of Easter traffic, couldn't get beyond 125MPH........
Latest score : Greasy pig : 1 Gorillas: 0
You'd love it here - the cameras are all front facing, and we don't have front plates, so it's just the radar traps you need to watch out for.......

Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Hi Gunny, Problem is, the listing you showed on your post had been removed by the time some of us saw it. I assumed you were commenting on your own fuel consumption, as I'm sure most of the other guys did too. Anyway, for what it's worth, now you can judge real consumption figures, remembering that the imperial gallon is 4.45 litres, a bit bigger than the US version........
So yes, I missed the point....and our gas now runs at just over 1 USdollar to the litre.
Well in that case, shadow I humbly apologize if my comments were a little too harsh the individual had posted a 1990 hurricane and claimed to be getting 65 miles to the gallon with a small decrease in heavy city traffic

Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM

No harm done, Gunny.
I'd say 65MPG (even on an imperial gallon) is absolute BS,
and I'm sure the rest of the guys who commented would agree.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM

yeah ive noticed a change since i got mine, use to get like 40-45 mpg, now ive been a bit lower like 38-43 range. weather effects it maybe?
been revving it a bit higher then normal the last couple of weeks due to mroe city driving but even on the freeway its been like that too.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Do a service on the bike - plugs, oil , oil filter and air filter. Mine uses more gas when the oil is older and the plugs get tired. Higher revving will also cause higher gas consumption, as will heavy traffic.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
jb

i get 115km out of £10 juice, so if you compair that to a car, its almost like running a small v8 and thats just comuting in town, as for people who average 80mph on every trip, lol you must be in a hurry and dont have respect for your own life or people around you,you wanna speed go to a race track mate

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 AM

I've only noticed the fuel consumption when touring on highways at pretty fair speeds, and then the bike drinks around 7 litres/100 km's. (~40MPG UK (~33,6 MPG Us)).

(My car drinks 17 litres/100 km's in town! [:@])

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Unlike you guys in the UK, we don't have track around every corner.........our nearest one is 400 miles away...........
If you feel the need to have a go at me, by all means, on the basis of an 85 MPH average, go right ahead - it's only 7MPH above the freeway speed limit here, buddy.
I'm not going to sit here and debate the issue with you, as you are clearly on your own mission, which seems to be having a go at a number of people on this forum at every opportunity, specifically Hardcorps and myself, and your ascetic comments on various forums have not gone unnoticed.
And if your bike is drinking that much gas, there's clearly something wrong with it - maybe the owner.......!
If you can't play nice, don't play.............

Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Do a service on the bike - plugs, oil , oil filter and air filter. Mine uses more gas when the oil is older and the plugs get tired. Higher revving will also cause higher gas consumption, as will heavy traffic.
changed my plugs no more then a month ago, and my air filter, it was getting soon ot replace it. and for the oil itself no more then 500 or 600 miles.
the only thing i havent changed is my air filter...
maybe i should get it next day off.../friday

Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM

[:@]

Petrol prices here are £1.10 per ^&*(_))(_ litre of unleaded at the moment, £1.20 for diesel.

We are getting ripped off. Now costs over 20 beer tokens to fill the CBR... but hey, it's the best way to spend £20! I get about 150 miles to the tank before reserve. Unless on the motorways in which case I get nearer 200. Bargain.

In relation to average speed, let's not assume where and when these boys are doing their speeds. I am sure they are not racing through towns.... I don't.. I enjoy riding (really) fast but only in deserted places; is this anymore dangerous than say communiting at slow speed through Central London? I don't think so.