CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

what are you adjusting your rear shocks at?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are you adjusting your rear shocks at?

Just curious what everyone sets their damping and spring rates to - I've set the damping to standard position and am 4 clicks in out of I think 36 positions.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Default RE: what are you adjusting your rear shocks at?

Preload set to full soft. Damping set in the middle.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:33 AM

Standard on both
Tried harder on both but that was uncomfortable

Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 AM

Rhino94, You said in your post "Standard on both" where did you get the setting information from? Could you tell me what they are? or are they different from year to year? (I have an '89). I want to return my settings to exactly what they were from the factory so that I have a reference point to go from.

Thanks

Rob

Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 PM

The upper adjuster (spring preload) has a standard mark (std).

The lower adjuster (dampening) I set exactly between the end-positions. I dont know if that is standard but nothing else is said in the manual.
clockwise = softer ride, counterclockwise = harder ride

Edit: Nice bike by the way :-)

Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: chesthing

Just curious what everyone sets their damping and spring rates to - I've set the damping to standard position and am 4 clicks in out of I think 36 positions.
The preload is set anly a few turns from full soft, I compared and adjusted the preload to give the same compression resitance as the factory setting on the GSX R1000. Initially the preload was almost at full hard and the biked didn't turned in well and also kicked hard on road bumps. The return dampening was easier to finnish, the adjuster is stuck so I couldn't adjust it [&:] If possible I will put in more return damping, the bike raises far to quick compared to the Suzuki when the spring has been compressed.

There is a new fully adjustable GSX R1000 -04 damper waiting at the post office, I'll see if it could be used. I guess I have to use the stock Honda spring if possible since the geometry differs and the Honda spring seems to be very hard.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM

Are we talking rear shocks here guys? I have an 89 f-k. Front forks are non-adjustable and rear shock only has one adjuster doesn't it??

Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Hi Steve, Back off holiday?

The rear shock has 2 adjustments, an 8mm nut at the top and a cross type screw at the bottom (I hope thats what I'm trying to adjust anyway!)

The bottom one is seized on mine, so I suspect it may be pretty standard, maybe.

Rob

Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Hi mate,

Yeah, arrived back last night.

Just checked my owners handbook for the first time ever!! The bottom adjuster is for rebound adjustment. I'm gonna leave that one well alone I think as she handles fine at the moment. Could do with a bit more pre-load though. I've got the preload wound right up with just me riding so you can imagine, it's a bit soft two up with all the luggage. Time for a new hagon I think, just gotta convince my financial manager though

Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rhino94

The upper adjuster (spring preload) has a standard mark (std).

The lower adjuster (dampening) I set exactly between the end-positions. I dont know if that is standard but nothing else is said in the manual.
clockwise = softer ride, counterclockwise = harder ride

Edit: Nice bike by the way :-)
Thanks for the compliment on my bike! It looks better from a distance, I bought it as a winter project to clean up and prepare for next years riding but it is so much fun I'm going to have difficulty deciding when to take it off the road.

Back to the subject, my preload adjuster has no standrd mark, so I took your advice and wound it out 4 turns from fully in and it seems to be OK, well I like it anyway.

Rob

Quick Reply: what are you adjusting your rear shocks at?