CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do???

My second post. Not yet a Cane owner but think I'm close. When I do I will be certain to update my profile and properly introduce myself. I'm looking for some advice from the voice of experience. I have read thru many posts and you guys/gals really seem to know just about everything there is to know about these classic bikes. I have attached pics of two different Hurricanes I am looking at. The blue one is a 1987 with only 21,980kms. Haven't personally seen or heard this one as it's about an 8 - 9hr drive, however, the original owner tells me the bike is in very good condition. The second is a 1988 with 60,000+kms. It has had several owners, the most recent, an autobody repairman...thus the magnificent paint work. This is actually the second time he's painted it. He tells me it was a brilliant copper colour last year. (He paints his own toys as a hobby). This one I did see and heard this past week-end (no ride though). I'm not sure how this cam chain rattle should sound but when he started it I could not detect any "rattle" from the engine. It sounded quite strong with a few quick twists of the throttle. The rear tire is completely smooth. He said he couldn't help himself before putting the bike away last season. He and a buddy were competing with one another in some rubber burning contest. So you can see my dilemma. A beautiful bright red Cane (1988)that I've seen and heard, but with 60,000Km.......or a 1987 Cane that I haven't yet seen but with only 21,980km and have access to the original owner and service technician (but fairly long drive). I'm trying to ignore the shiny new look of the red Cane...after all, it's just paint.

Any thoughts???

Attached Thumbnails What would you do???-blue-hurricane.jpg   What would you do???-blue-hurricane-odometer.jpg   What would you do???-1988-red-cane-ii.jpg   What would you do???-1988-red-cane.jpg   What would you do???-1988-red-cane-tank.jpg  

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on other factors as well.

Was the repainted one ever wrecked? I'd check the frame and other parts for signs of rash. Never can be too sure with a painted bike (or any bike for that matter).
Price is also a big factor. You didn't mention it on either, so I'm guessing they are similarly priced?

Not really seeing or hearing the blue bike, who knows how good or bad it REALLY is.
Ask about history a lot, too, and see what you can find out. Any major repairs? Good service history?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

21k kilometers is really low mileage, too, for an '87.

I bought mine with like 17k miles and it's a '95. I thought that was low mileage!
I drove 9hrs to get mine. Only had a couple pics, but the guy ASSURED me it was bone stock and mint and that he was the second owner. He had the paperwork to back it up, and he wasn't lying.
I believed him and I took the chance. He was a good guy, and was completely truthful with me. You never know, though.
It's usually good to make a list of questions to ask, so you don't forget.
I'd call the guy that has the blue one, and maybe ask him a bunch of questions about ANY flaws he can think of, and ask about repair history, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with just the information given in the post i would look at the blue one. it seems like a better deal overall but there are always suprises.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a tough call , 'shall I drive 8hrs to see a bike/car that may not be worth the effort?' Try to find out as much as you can about the bike , if it's from an unbiased third party so much the better . The seller if he's genuine , will be happy to answer all questions as this shows interest on your part as well.

Someone told me once that as well as looking at the bike/car look at the owner ,where he lives , his house , appearance , attitude. I would rather buy a bike off someone that was trustworthy and obviously treasured their bike , rather than someone that had a carefree attitude toward your future treasured possession! A rear tyre burn-out doesn't sit well with me , I know I would never do it to my baby . I prefer original and don't really like painted bikes , mines original and though far from perfect I would be reluctant to paint her , but that's just my 2 cents worth.