CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What to wear? Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What to wear? Advice please

OK so when I bought my leathers to do my training last year , I bought a second hand jacket and trousers . These provide great protection and the jacket is a good fit but the trousers are a bit on the big side , which isn't too bad on the bike but walking around I have to keep hitching them up every ten paces.

So time to get some more trousers at least , but I'm thinking of getting a two piece set as well so they can zip together .

So guys with your wealth of experience I would like to hear any advice on 1 piece / 2 piece suits , pro's and con's , leather v's textile .

I've never bought/worn any of this stuff before so treat me like an idiot

Is it better to buy this stuff tight so it can stretch , or is it better to buy pants a size bigger so they don't cut you in half when your bent over on the bike?

Sorry to go on but as stated I'm a novice as far as this is concerned and I don't want more pants that end up round my ankles

Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the weather, I use a leather jacket (Vanson Mark2 Lightning) for mild to hot temps and a heavy textile jacket (First Gear Mt Rainer) for early spring / late fall riding (or when it rains). I also have a pair of Tourmaster pants that have a removeable liner for warmer weather. Also,a Biker's Choice balaclava for the cold days will keep my neck and head warm

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the States, we call them suspenders. But where you are, I believe they are called braces. Try that first. Or maybe a tailor can take in your pants for a small fee.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suspenders/braces work well- many guys use them,
As for gear - in the UK
Frank Thomas 2 piece with a zip-together is hard to beat for winter, and have a removable liner for summer in the jacket. I wear them myself and they are excellent, if a little heavy, but I prefer more protection and weight.
Summer - I wear an IXS jacket with the same leather pants as winter.Same gloves, A* SP3's
Buy your jacket 2" bigger than you normally wear, so I have 42" street clothes, and wear a 44" bike jacket.Leave space for gut growth or a fleecy !
Pants should be the same as your street sizes for jeans - buy the right length.
Hope this helps,

Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM

Opposite view to Steve's -
My buddy fell off his 3 day old R1 due to a St Bernard running into the road. Doing 60 KPH, his jacket and pants (good textiles) were SHREDDED.
I don't trust 'em, even though I wear a textile jacket in the heat, but to each his own.
Buy the best you can afford, and if necessary buy top of the line second hand - better than cheap but new any day !

Last edited by Shadow; 03-25-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 AM

Just an ordinary suburban tar road, Steve - his gear had HOLES in it, and the padding moved off his elbows, so some serious roasties there......A couple of cracked ribs, wrist etc, but his wife went over the top and broke shoulder - now on 3rd operation and still having problems after 6 months. Her kit didn't help much (same brand) either.

Leather's damned hot, I agree, but I'd rather sweat than bleed, any day.
If you buy textiles, get the Kevlar reinforced, double stitched stuff - better by far than jeans, but not cheap. Look at Draggin' jeans......good gear, reinforced in the right places.

Last edited by Shadow; 03-25-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 AM

Quite right Steve - perhaps my explanation could use some work ..........
Good kit is there to reduce your chance of injury as much as possible, but will it stop you getting broken bones ?
Probably not.
Nothing on sale today in the line of protective gear is bullet-proof or broken-bone proof to my knowledge.
Sad, but true.

Quick Reply: What to wear? Advice please