CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What are these for (pics)(carb related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these for (pics)(carb related)

anybody know what these tubes are for...all the stock carbs I have seen do not have them but they were on the bike when I got it....there are 4 tubes that connect to the bottom of each float bowl...and run up and plug into the corresponding intake neck...and where they connect there is an adjustment screw to controll flow??....but when the bike is running there is acctually gas in them...im stumped as to thier purpose....here is a link to pics

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee298/trdberd

see pictures 2 and 5 and 23-28 for what I am referring to...

bike is an 87

Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Default RE: What are these for (pics)(carb related)

It sure looks strange. It may be an attempt to pressurize the float chambers for a turbo orRAM-air application. Anyway, the float level now will varywith the engine load so I would remove the stuffand return to the stock solution. I'm assuming the bike has no turbo, right?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:30 AM

haha...yea thats correct...no turbo here

Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 AM

I was just talking about this kind of set up yesterday. I have seen them on somedirt bikes and rc cars. Its supposed to be sort of like a "boost" for low end power. this is more like what it looks like now.

here is a quote from another company about it:boost bottle is designed for better throttle response and faster acceleration. Attach the hose to the racing intake. When the engine is running the boost bottle will fill up with atomized fuel. When the throttle is quickly cracked open from a closed position the intake will suck pre-atomized fuel from the bottle providing the engine with an added burst of fuel off the bottom when it is needed without changing jetting which could cause it too run rich (too much fuel). Good for getting the holeshot when also adding other hi-performance parts.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Does fuel or just air draw into the tube(s) while it is running? My best guess (after looking at the service/repair manual) would be some kind of evaporation system.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 AM

no.. there is fuel in the lines

Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: chas78

I was just talking about this kind of set up yesterday....
I seriously doubt the boost boottles will everwork. There is always somevacuum in the intake so the bottles will never be filled. In case they are filled anyway, the fuel would condense in the bottle and will not be sprayed into the engine as claimed. Is is soon Cristmas, I believe farmore in Santa Claus than the magic bottles:-)

Old 11-10-2007, 12:56 PM

I wastalking with a co-worker on how he had this thing on one of his old bikes. He was telling me that it was an alternative to a jet kit. I didnt say in any way that it had proven results, just adding some info.....

Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

I understood that already from your post and was just commenting the gismo. The reference in my post was to the gismo, not to you as a writer, I’m truly sorry if you felt criticized, that was absolutelynot the intention.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM

i offer my apologies(sp) as well.

Quick Reply: What are these for (pics)(carb related)