CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Paul,
I have been googling away here for a while and from the amount of pages related to front end wheel wobble with these Continental Tyres I am willing to bet my left one on that being the problem. I have had miss matched tyres on this bike and all of my other bikes over 20 years of riding and have never experienced this. I am going to get a Michelin PR 2 on it 2mrw. How ever if that doesnt work I still have a very new tyre in storage. If that is the problem ( and from what I read I'm sure it is ) its goodbye forever for the Continental. I spent ages in the garage today checking for movement in the wheel and steering head stem bearings and there was none. There was several complaints on the net about these tyres producing wobble or "shimmy " once they had around 1000 miles on them which is what mine now has on it. From what others are describing its exactly whats going on here. I will get a new tyre 2mrw and post the results 2mrw night my time. I will then be able to say whether or not to steer clear of Continental tyres for this bike. Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Well gentleman I was right. I have just got off the bike after putting a new BT021 on the front today and there isnt a shake or shimmy in sight at any speed. NO MORE CONTINENTAL TYRES for me !!!!!! I may have just got a crook tyre but I wont be taking the chance anymore with them. I did a lot of research on here last night just googling the problem and it is evident that Continentals have a reputation for doing this at around the same speed I was nominating ( 80 km ). The guy at the bike shop this morning laughed at me when I explained the problem I was having. I said just change the tyre and I'll look after it. Anyway the problem was the tyre so boohoo to you pal.

I would suggest you dont buy Continentals guys. I know I wont be in the future for sure. Each to their own but they are crap imo. Cheers.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 AM

Bordo,
Thanks for the info on the conti's, which is what I have on my bike. I have the Road Attacks with about 1200 miles and haven't experienced any wobbles yet, but I will post up if I do have issues. I bought them because of the price and I have conti's on my SUV which have been great for me.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Did a short 100km loop this morning trying to sort out my helmet cam. Cam works fine but it will take a bit of time setting it up properly on the helmet. I''ve either got it pointed to the sky or down onto the road. I will sort it though and post something soon. Also found that both fork dust seals are beginning to show signs of age with some perishing so will order some of them and replace them. Just got a price for Honda Genuine at $22 EACH. Went to fleabay and got both for $29 posted to the door.

Last edited by Bordo; 11-21-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Banned

Yeah mate I've never experienced a crook new tyre before. I've always had them re balanced and they've been fine. Anyway live and learn for sure. I've got the Bridgy on the front and she is as solid as a rock. Just waiting for the new fork dust seals to put on now.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Busy Day of Revelations !

Well started into installing a "new" (95) shock into the 1990 Hurricane
Everything went pretty good until I went through cleaning and checking
the dog links ...... long story short the bushing where the shock attaches
is shot .........all broken up ....see pics .......bummer that work had to stop.
I think when the shock itself gave out the lower bushing took such a hammering
it just disintegrated !

edit: good news is the bushing (52485-KE8-003) is replaceable ...about 15 bucks !

So then I move on to my clutch problem .........open the master resevoir
......."low" ! and behold .......barely a drop in there .........so I check down
by the sprocket cover .......... oh yeah ..........nice film of brake fluid !
Seems the clutch slave cylinder seal is a gonner ! .......so that work has
to wait for parts too.

So she's sitting out there with all her cloths off waiting for new bits next
week-end

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-photo-1.jpg   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-photo-2.jpg   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-photo-3.jpg   What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-photo-4.jpg  

Last edited by Sprock; 11-28-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What rez yu running yer screen at there Steve 640 x 480 ???
I actually dummed down the rez so older folks had a chance of
seeing it tooo..... lol

Anyhow the biggest issue with that knackered bushing is going to be
how to press the old one out and the new one in as it has a very thin
looking outer sleeve........ might end up being a butcher job with a
chisel and the persuader

have a pitman arm extractor though that may work on it.

Also got me a brand spankme new clutch slave cylinder assembly today
real cheap, so that's on its way won't have to rebuild the old one which
could be scored anyway.

Last edited by Sprock; 11-29-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sprock, check your 3/8 drive socket set for the correct bushing driver!

My 1000F got to watch the 900 get naked and I think everyone was happy. Three-way in the garage! Whoa. Changed all the fluids and filters, pulled the battery and put her under her blanket and up for the season.
The big girl is next but got a few things to do on her ...like a cam chain.

One thing for sure, Sprock's '90 seems to know how to keep his attention

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-bikepics-62582-full.jpg  

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?