CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gave the 1000F a rest today...only because I am fortunate enough to have a really good option. Took the 900RR out on this perfect Easter Sunday. I'll be the first to admit that this bike has way more potential than I'll ever know or realize, but it's sure fun to push it around some. Hope everyone had a great day on two wheels.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Todays project / Troubleshoot session

Today did oil change with K&N filter and synthetic blend while I had lower fairing off continuing to troubleshoot my charging system issues, R / R seems to be ok per the voltage meter readings but only getting about 11.93 to the R/R, worked my way down to the 6P connector and discovered a melt down on the connector on one of the yellow wire connectors .... cleaned it up with dremel tool contacts clean, retested and slight increase to R / R 12.4.... still not enough to keep battery happy. Checking alternator where power leads come out and it looks like it may have gotten baked too. Open to any feedback and thoughts to situation.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're running the standard reg/rectifier it'll only give you a proper charge above 3000RPM.
It could be a burnt out reg/rec. Look for any distortion, melting on the body of the reg/rec - they are a weakpoint on these bikes. A replacement from Electrex may be the answer - a number of us run their reg/recs - very good.
If you are still only getting 12.4V I'd check the wiring - 3 yellow wires going into the stator/alternator. You may have a problem with the stator if the yellow wires are melted --burnt coils which are impossible to see. If you use a megger tester you should be able to check the resistances on the coils. Values are in the manual. If one of the coils is burnt you'll have to replace the stator. Sad, but it's what happened to me after replacing the reg/rec three times - the stator doesn't produce enough current with a burnt coil and the reg/rec can't give enough to the battery so eventually will burn out. You should get abt 30amps from the alternator when running at full capacity.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:03 AM

Oil change and k&n oil filter. Used rotella t6 5w-30w diesel as per some of the threads that mentioned about clutch slipping and plates crystallization due to "bad" oil or extreme winter conditions.

I'll see how it works with this new oil though I don't expect miracles but eventually if problem persist I'll end up replacing the clutch plates.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody in Australia using club rego on their beast ?
I'm considering this route next year when the beast turns 25 years old

Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately no such thing in SA Al,

State Gov't too broke to give a bloke a chance!

Cheers, SB

Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Welcome Crew

Well I put the bike together (mostly) since I need to ride BAD. I did a coolant flush and Archie's used Corbin seat arrived in the mail today so I threw that on too. I installed the fairings and went for a spin. Man it's good to be riding again! She feels a bit sluggish with the old gas but I never really went over 5,000 rpms. It's hard to stay legal above that.

I was kinda surprised how much the cam chain quieted down after I ran it for awhile, maybe I can get through another season. I'll get some fresh oil in and see how I feel about it.

Name:  IMAG0393_zpsmgid6trt.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  101.2 KB

Good shot here of my painted front rim. I'm really pleased with how it came out. Now I need to get to the back.

Name:  IMAG0396_zps5qzlurao.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  110.5 KB

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you've just gotta scratch that itch Drew

Wheel looks good, but where's the fender?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Welcome Crew

That's why it's "mostly" together! Fender is still getting paint. You'll notice I'm also utilizing my Capt. America spare tank... the black tank is still going through the paint, sand, paint procedure.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Default Thanks Shadow

Thanks Shadow..... tried testing voltage at the alternator last night and was getting ZERO, thought that the frying at the 6P connector might have fried alternator / stator. Took the alternator cover off and the stator and wiring connector in fantastic looking shape... no burns or charring. I am not sure what else could be problem. Will be back at it when the rain passes

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?