CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothMayhem21
I have 3 sets of side fairings. I have NO EXPERIENCE with body work and in need of some advice. What do i need? ie. tools, sand paper grade, body filler, any other materials or supplies? The few of platics just have road rash/cracks and the others just stickers that need to be removed

Stickers can be removed with the gentle application of a hair dryer, the stickers soften and you peel them off.

Broken tabs, cracks etc try:
My Simple Approach to Fairing Repair

And preparing and painting the fairings, the best I found in a hurry (and apologies for the crossposting) was:

How to paint scratched fairings/ bike revived - Sportbikes.net

Cheers, SB

Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the new levers on this morning. They were pretty much a direct replacement except for th brake. It fit in the bracket but was just tight enough to not allow the lever to return properly.
A little dress work with the ole' flat bastard and it fit perfectly.

Love them!!!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Stickers can be removed with the gentle application of a hair dryer, the stickers soften and you peel them off.

Broken tabs, cracks etc try:
My Simple Approach to Fairing Repair

And preparing and painting the fairings, the best I found in a hurry (and apologies for the crossposting) was:

How to paint scratched fairings/ bike revived - Sportbikes.net

Cheers, SB

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yesterday Knackie came up with his CBR1000F to go a ride with his mum (Mrs SB) on her Kawasaki ZR250 Balius. Beautiful, if somewhat blustery , sunshiny day - so off they went with me staring in a somewhat melonchony manner at the wrong end of a spade.

I abstained as I was having undertaking a crash course in "fun with septic systems 101" and up to my elbows in.....................well you can guess.

When they returned BOTH bikes were having trouble with the brake lights. Mrs SB's was easy with a lead having come detached at the brake lever end, reconnect and all good to go.

Knackie's CBR1000F was another story.

When I adjusted the position of the rear brake pedal last week, I checked if the light still worked correctly, but it must have been right on the limit, as it had pulled one of the contacts out which was earthing on the spring. So, the brake lights remained lit. When you pressed the brake pedal, the light went out, and then pulled the front brake lever it came back on! If you pulled the front brake lever the brake light went out, then pressed the rear brake lever it came back on!!!

So, pulled the plastics, the kick plate on the RHS, then removed the footpeg and associated brake parephenalia and disconnected the switch which promptly fell to bits in its component parts. I had stretched it too far when adjusting the brake lever last week.

So, collected all the bits, cleaned up all the terminals, carefully reassembled it, with large heatshrink over the top end to hold the plastic 'bung' and contacts in, applied heat to the heatshrink and tested the circuit. All good, lights come on as brake applied front or rear.

Put all the footpeg hanger, kick plate and sidepanel back on and good to go. Apart from the bottom water protection grommet on the switch, which I had forgotten to replace so....... Rinse and repeat!

Fixing OP's bikes more than riding at the moment - I need help!!

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 12-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Member & ROTM DEC 2012

A thousand salutations and may the hair on your head always be more plentiful then the hair in your ears friends..

firstly, let me say, SB, always your help and meticulous work is greatly appriciated, and may i say thankyou, cos i must say i was slightly miffed at the time to find a issue already..
theres very few people id trust with my bikes, and by proxy, my life, but you are one.

and also, let me say friends, that my mum makes me proud, that at the tender age of 25 *cough* (well.. 25 twice.. ;P ..) that she could learn to be free and learn to ride as quickly and as well as she has, for it was a HONOR LONG AWAITED to ride with her. the conditions were far from ideal, some big gusts bullying us, but she overcame.. as i knew she would.

i must say, that upon receipt of Juliett, My cbr, i was skeptical.. but she has converted me.. with a few adjustments, and a few chats, ( yes, im the crazy guy stroking his bike and talking to her at the lights) we have come to understand each other.

im enjoying her more and more.. and again thanks to SB for his good care of my ride

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the rain we've been having lately, the chance to ride Sunday morning couldn't be wasted. Humid, sticky conditions so 2 friends and I decided to head away from the coast, the holidaymakers, pickpockets and of course the local "Gendarmerie" Sorry Bordo but the local "worthies" get over the top around Christmas.
Anyway, the two bikes the friends have were - 2012 CBR1000RR and the Ducati Panigale (they both have far too much money)
I won't bore you with the details except to say that at twice the local limit they still weren't running away from the old 1000F which cost about 15% of what theirs cost 8 years ago......the only real difference was acceleration, where both are (and always will be) superior. Hell, they should be, they weigh 70Kg less and run around 50 HP more than the old 1000F.(make that 70HP for the Panigale- it's INSANE !!)
I finally received my replacement video camera and am quite please with the overall results. The "sucker" stuck to the fairing and didn't move even at silly speed. There was some vibration, to be expected really, and the windnoise was quite loud even with prestik over the microphone BUT the wail from the 1000F engine at the upper end of her performance is something to hear...................remind me of Neil Diamond's song " It's a beautiful noise"
Didn't go far , around 200Kilo's because the rain started to hit the visors - the Panigale doesn't do well in the rain on almost slick tyres so we headed east again.- ended up at a bike shop in town (Durban) having a few cokes and hot dogs with local "farm sausage" - - boerewors. A good time had by all.
I'll try to put up a clip of the noise on youtube - but ........well, it's raining again so maybe sooner than later.

Here's a pic of the 1000F blowing by the Panigale - only because he was running low on gas.....
Have a good week.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-img00660-20121210-0540.jpg  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Winter prepped

Well,
She has sat neglected for 2 weeks in the garage (have slapped myself as punishment)

So as a treat for winter I removed all the engine fairings and side panels and liberally coated her with ACF50 on anything metal, fixed or moving part, suspension, etc. Boy what a load of smoke on start up from the residue.

Off for a days riding tomorrow. with Butcherspencil and her newly de-L plated bike.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Welcome Crew

seeing as im stripping the hurricane down i treated her to a new set of pipes, told the wife i had to take the old ones off when i strip the swinger out and got the thumbs up for an xmas present

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?-pipes.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely pipes Wheelnut, I think it was Shakey has a set of Delvic's on his MK1.
They should sound nice and 'fuity'

Better than socks and aftershave any day!!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Today I put on the soft saddle bags I recieved from my wife for Christmas. Pictures coming soon. Happy New Year everyone. Have a safe and enjoyable 2013!

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?