CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh ?
Whatsat ?
A gel battery ? I thought gel was stuff that pimply faced teenagers put on their hair.
Yamean they make bike batteries out of that stuff ? Well, bugger me !
D'ya think if I buy a bottle and shove it in my Exide/Willard it'll do the job ?

This's AFRICA Mate
The postman wears a bone in his nose and a loincloth, oh and flipflops.......
And the thatch roof on my hut is falling out after the rain and it SMELLS

In all honesty, I've yet to find a gel battery locally for bikes - for cars- sure. For boats - absolutely. None for bikes, but I'll saddle up the mule, and go hunting
It's a great idea. I guess postage would be a bugger, eh............
It'd probably cost a bomb too, considering a new Arai is +$1000 US here.....

All the smilies are for Steve-o...............................
Cheer up Mate

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

"considering a new Arai is +$1000 US here"

Well Mate I hope you find a AGM battery cheaper than that cost comparison.

Also I have been to Durban, Sun City and Jo berg (Kyalami), They are in Africa but not the Jungle that most think of when the word Africa comes to mind. Pretty Nice, large, modern cities not to many thatched huts in there.
I knew it was expensive for some imported things but not that much of a diff.
A powersports 14x AGM battery for a jetski, 4 wheeler, or mower should do you just fine, if the price is right.
Good Luck on your search

Dub

Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I don't know if I've ever seen such intense wisdom in any thread in this here mad house to date.
Pete, not only do I get your drift I whole heartedly advocate it for the same reasons you do. My riding is a 24/7365 thing too despite the ****e winters we get here. At least we don't get cooked at gas mark 8 like you southern hemi people do but yeah..... my tinkering is restricted mostly to a day at a time and she must be ready to ride in the morning.
I know you and Steve have the same approach but it's been interesting to see you both wearing your spanners on your sleeve....so to speak.

Getting back slightly to the point of all this, I got some string out last night and checked wheel alignment. After careful set up I measured about 4 mm misalignment at the front wheel. This equated to less than 1/2 a turn on the brake side chain adjuster to correct. Nothing to write home about you might think. You could hardly see the difference on the adjuster marks.
Riding along one of my favourite twisties this morning the difference was quite noticeable. Razor sharp cornering in both directions even in the rain. Note to self. Don't be so blahzeh setting up back wheel in future.
Anyway with 84K miles fast approaching on my old girl, I'll be looking after her as usual and riding every day until the world stops turning.
Long live our rocket donkeys.
Make sure you give us a big grin when you've got your new bits fitted Steve. It may just be the pep up you need right now or at least help. Don't worry about the sentence thing, I'm sure it'll pass.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

"considering a new Arai is +$1000 US here"

Well Mate I hope you find a AGM battery cheaper than that cost comparison.

Also I have been to Durban, Sun City and Jo berg (Kyalami), They are in Africa but not the Jungle that most think of when the word Africa comes to mind. Pretty Nice, large, modern cities not to many thatched huts in there.
I knew it was expensive for some imported things but not that much of a diff.
A powersports 14x AGM battery for a jetski, 4 wheeler, or mower should do you just fine, if the price is right.
Good Luck on your search

Dub
Yes, caught in the act again - in truth I live in a fairly nice suburb in Pinetown about 10 miles out of Durban on the west side. We have most amenities including some of the best surfing on the planet
And no I don't have pedals under my computer desk to give me electric power We have a thieving electrical company called Eskom (monopoly) pffft pain in the as-s.
Sin City is nice - I played golf there a few years back, and Jo'burg, well, it'll never change.
I lived in Benoni for many years and came back here for the Babes, the weather (sub-tropical) and the beach .....hehe
I'll see if I can find a gel battery but well all we can do is hope.
And no the postman doesn't wear a loincloth - he's a she, and quite nice too I THINK A GAME OF "POSTMAN'S KNOCK" MAY BE IN ORDER......

Quote Don't worry about the sentence thing, I'm sure it'll pass.

Dammit Henry now I have coffee all over my screen.....
(and up my nose) **** - a real Classic joke if you'll pardon the pun.....

Good onyer Steve-o !
It's a bugger when people think you're illiterate because you're a Tradie (my son's words not mine, he's a Tradie too) AND A NEW AUSSIE AND LOVING IT.
when we all know you like short things, sentences, drinks, rides, sex OMG don't go there ! hehe
Anyway the diatribe was well written, indeed, and long may it continue.....

Here's a new Aussie who I hope will make more money than his Grandad.....
my 4 year old near Perth. Name of Cathan. Styling !

Attached Thumbnails What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear-06062011325a.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Hey:

"HenryM: I got some string out last night and checked wheel alignment. After careful set up I measured about 4 mm misalignment at the front wheel. This equated to less than 1/2 a turn on the brake side chain adjuster to correct. Nothing to write home about you might think. You could hardly see the difference on the adjuster marks"

HenryM, You would not even begin to know how many times the Honda Service Tech Rep was called, when dealerships would report severe handling deficiencies, that would be due to rear wheel mis-alignment. Even some very good mechanics would not catch it because of the minor mis-adjustment, It used to keep me very busy back then, just to insure that there was no trend with any model that was unsafe. When I joined a race team, it would make a huge difference in top speed on race bikes with just 1mm out as tires would wear very quick as things are compounded many fold at a 175 MPH and give a lack of confidence in a bike that was rode earlier with no issues. I wish all bikes had eccentric/concentric chain adjusters, but they have their own problems (Ride height, spinning/movement) So I always tell folks check you alignments and spacing it saves an issue later on.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-15-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Dub,
that was interesting. Thanks.
I'd make you right about the importance of wheel alignment at 175 MPH, even 1mm out. When you think about it though it's going to make a difference at all speeds but may just not be quite so noticeable on the steering.
It would be nice to have an even more accurate way of doing alignment as string is, to say the least, approximate.
I found a neat little idea that some guy has come up with. A DIY lazer alignment jig which I thought would be worth slotting in here.

DIY Wheel Alignment Tool - Real Classic Motorcycle Rebuild Techniques

I think I'm going to make one of these. It must be about as accurate a method as you can get.
As the paddies would say..... T'be sure, T'be sure!

Another thing I've noticed, just this morning in fact, is that the bike has a much better castor action than ever before. If I take my hands off the bars it just stays straight. I have a feeling that from time to time I inadvertently apply a little pressure to the bars, one side or the other, which pushes the bike out of line slightly. As the bike tries to straighten up against my pressure on the bars it caused the bars to oscillate gently until I realised what I was doing. Take the pressure off (and I'm talking about the relaxed weight of my arm) or apply an equal pressure on the other side and it's stable again. It sounds obvious but I guess it's so easy to do something that can upset the handling without even knowing you're doing it, until you realise what's going on.
Again, the better the bike is set up, the more it shows up weaknesses in the rider.

Quick Reply: What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear